STC-ETC Presentation: Plain Language & Our Vocabulary Choices

Join us for a presentation by Em Turner Chitty! Em’s unique approach to how English language history is mirrored in the vocabulary choices we make helps writers understand the power of “plain language” as well as how to “translate” among the different levels of formality available in English.

Em teaches both at the University of Tennessee’s English Language Institute and at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. At ORNL, she teaches 12-hour courses on technical writing for research scientists, engineers, and support personnel. In addition, she provides individualized language support for ORNL staff who require in-depth English language assistance in writing or presentation skills.

Tuesday, 22 February 2011

We’ll meet from 6:00 – 8:00 pm EST.

Barley’s Taproom & Pizzeria in the Old City

200 East Jackson Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37915; 865.521.0092

We’ll meet in their private room on the second floor.

Cost

Student STC-ETC Members $0

STC-ETC Chapter Members & Students (who are not STC-ETC Members) $5

STC Members $7

Non-members $10

RSVP

to Marla at [log in to unmask]

Please join us for a great presentation, great people, and great pizza! Hope to see you there!

Marla Vinson

Vice President

East Tennessee Chapter - Society for Technical Communication