Hey all you outdoor fun having peoples,

We had our first meeting this Wednesday, and these are some of the things we discussed; this should catch you up on all the details…

We’re working on getting a freeze out backpacking trip together, maybe the third or fourth weekend of February.  I’d like to get a couple of day & or night trips in to go skiing/snowboarding somewhere close by. I would also like to get an official X-Country Ski Trip in soon too. We’ll come up with some more solid dates for those trips soon. And of course, those won’t be the only trips; that’s just what we’ve talked about so far.

January, 22 (this Saturday)

Randy Bigbee is planning on doing some X-Country Skiing. This is an unofficial trip so gas isn’t covered, but you can use your club discount at UTOP for gear at least. Call Randy if you are interested in going with him. 865-567-7294

February 4th, Friday

Eric Jackson, master kayaker, is going to be at the aquatic center. You can try out some Jackson Kayaks and get some instruction from Eric and his team of instructors. We usually help out a little bit with this event, so please let me know if you would be willing.

February 11 -13, Yep, the weekend before Valentines Day

So far the first official trip of the semester is skiing/snowboarding at Snowshoe, WV.  We will leave Friday afternoon, stay in the town of Cass in a couple of cabins for Friday and Saturday night and leave Sunday. Lift tickets are around $60 for a full day pass, but that also lets you do night skiing at Silver Creek, which is an offshoot of Snowshoe Resort. It’s a six hour drive, so I doubt anybody will be able to ski Sunday too, but if there’s enough people that want to do that, they can all ride back to Knoxville together. Your gas & lodging will be covered, you are on your own for food, ski or snowboard rentals, and the lift ticket. You may want to check rental prices at Snowshoe v.s. Alpine Ski Center here in Knoxville.

Snowshoe  Roster:

1.       Logan Johnson

2.       Ben Dorger

3.       Allyse Lamon

4.       Liz Bowden

5.       Karen Richters

6.       Josh Leonard

7.       Megan Spoone

8.       Chase Smith

9.       Matt Hoover

10.   Elizabeth Crowder

11.   Sarah Murphree

12.   Crissy Abercrombie

13.   Dylan Hoehn

14.   Kristin Aasteboel

15.   Kristen Collins

16.   Matthew Burgamy

As of right now, it just so happens that we have sixteen spots open for this trip & sixteen people have signed up. However, if you still want to sign up, I’ll get a waiting list going, and usually with the way things go, a spot will open up. Plus, we can probably squeeze a few extra folks in if they want to sleep on the floor. I will keep you posted with an up to date roster for this trip, since it is a popular one.  If you are on  the waiting list, then I will let you know how things are looking for you the best I can & as soon as I can.

April 22-24, Easter Weekend

Randy Bigbee is heading up the annual Clear Creek trip. We’re going stay true to the name of the club on this one, and basically, we will be canoeing down the river for a few days and having lots of fun. More details about this trip to come later.

See you all soon!

Logan

UTCH President

(423) 863-1521