We had 5 of those old Canon monsters. We couldn't get repair parts for
them, couldn't upgrade the computers because of the driver limitation,
and finally bit the bullet, as it were, and replaced 'em. We purchased 2
ScanPro 2000s, and hooked 'em up to a couple of Dell 780s. We're still
running XP on those computers, but they will work with Win7 when we get
ready to upgrade. These ScanPros are fantastic. They read film, fiche,
micro-opaque cards, all on the computer screen. They can help clean up
old scratched microfilm, you can crop, you can save output to PDF rather
than print, they are environmentally friendly. Those 2 ScanPros are
currently doing the work of those 5 Canons, 4 microfiche readers, 2
micro-opaque readers and about 20 Dukane hand-cranked microfilm readers,
I could go on and on... check out this site:
http://www.e-imagedata.com/

We were able to almost completely clean out our microtext equipment, and
re-purpose that area as a Digital Media Studio.
hth,
David

--
David Robinson -- Systems Librarian