Expanding Our Horizons, Evaluating Our Parameters:
The Third North American Symposium on Knowledge Organization (NASKO)

Final Call for Participation

Conference Venue: Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Conference Dates: June 16-17, 2011
Proposal submission deadline: January 31, 2011

CFP online at http://iskocus.org/nasko2011.php

During the 2nd NASKO a workshop was conducted to elicit questions
still unanswered in knowledge organization (KO).  This is a small
sample of questions that emerged from the workshop:

Instruction:
What should we be teaching in KO?

Funding:
What are the funding needs in order to pursue a future KO research agenda?

Theory:
How do we encourage cumulative theory building in KO?
How does culture/language influence information retrieval practices?
What relationships would be useful in organizing concepts/subjects?
What is the best way to convey relationships within classification/KOS?
Is there really a conflict between "ontological" and "epistemological"
approaches to KO?
What is a concept?

Practice:
Are there distinct "flavors" of KO in different international areas?
Who do you need to be working with?
What is a community?
How do we visualize complex multidimensional classifications?
How do we create crosswalks from one system to another?
How do we create flexible systems for changing users and artifacts?

Open research questions:
How do artifacts evolve in terms of their use and representation?
How do we handle the collapse of the artifact in inter-linked
resources that provide access to internal parts, and to aggregated wholes?
How can the potential of social tagging best be harnessed?
How can social tagging and vocabulary control interact?
How do we bridge the gap between theories and applications?
How can we apply KO so that we meet those (???) interdisciplinary needs?

The International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO) –
Canada/United States Chapter invites researchers to report on these
and other open questions in KO research (e.g., domain analysis,
synthesis of legacy KOSs and newer approaches, the intellectual
culture of KO, etc.) at the 3rd NASKO through submissions of proposals
for research papers, position papers, posters, and workshop proposals.
Acceptable languages for conference submissions include English,
French or Spanish. Doctoral students are especially invited to submit
proposals.

Proposal categories:

Research and Position Papers: Proposals should include a title and be
no more than 1500 words long. Proposals should be situated in the
extant literature of knowledge organization and have a clearly
articulated theoretical grounding and methodology. Those that report
completed or ongoing work will be given preference. Diverse
perspectives and methodologies are welcome.

Posters: Proposals should include a title and be no more than 650 words long.

Workshops:  Proposals should include a title, an estimated time frame
for the workshop, and a brief description (650 words maximum).

Publication: All accepted papers will be published online. The papers
most highly-ranked during the peer-review process will, with
permission of the authors, be published, in full, in a future issue of
Knowledge Organization.

Deadline for proposals is January 31, 2011.

Proposal format:
Proposals should include the name(s) of the author(s), mailing
addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, and fax numbers.
Please send proposals in Word or .rtf format to Nicolas George:

Proposals will be refereed by the Program Committee. Authors will be
notified of the committee’s decision no later than March 11, 2011. All
presenters must register for the conference. Papers to appear as full
text in the electronic proceedings must be submitted no later than May
20, 2011.

Planning Committee:
Richard P. Smiraglia, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Abby Goodrum, Ryerson University

Program Committee:
Amelia Abreu, University of Washington
Clément Arsenault, Université de Montréal
Clare Beghtol, University of Toronto
Thomas M. Dousa, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Jonathan Furner, University of California, Los Angeles
Nicolas George, Indiana University, Bloomington
Abby A. Goodrum, Ryerson University
Rebecca Green, OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
Lynne Howarth, University of Toronto
Michele Hudon, Université de Montréal
Elin K. Jacob, Indiana University, Bloomington
Barbara Kwasnik, Syracuse University
Kathryn La Barre, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Hur-Li Lee, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Aaron Loehrlein, University of British Columbia
Christine Marchese, Long Island University
Elaine Menard, McGill University
Shawne Miksa, University of North Texas, Denton
Hope Olson, University of Wisconsin, Milwakuee
David M. Pimentel, Syracuse University
Richard P. Smiraglia, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Rick Szostak, University of Alberta
Joseph T. Tennis, University of Washington
Nancy Williamson, University of Toronto