There are still a few spaces available for the 2011 summer seminars to London and Prague, offered by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's School of Information and Library Science (SILS).

Registration is open to professionals and students alike for these popular programs. Librarians at all stages of their careers have found our summer seminars educational, enjoyable and as some participants have said, "an experience of a lifetime!"  Students enrolled in a library science program can receive three (3) hours of graduate credit for the seminar.

Spaces are limited... register soon!

London, England
--------------------
SILS and the Department of Information Studies, University College London (UCL) invite you on a journey to the literary, academic and cultural capital of England by attending our international summer seminar entitled "British Libraries and Librarianship: Past, Present and Future." The London seminar will be held May 15 - May 28, 2011.

The seminar will take place in London with day trips to visit the university libraries at both Oxford and Cambridge. In London, participants will visit the British Library, the National Archive, the Imperial War Museum (including its library) and the Wellcome Library (including the History of Medicine Collection). Visits to other libraries including public libraries and a newspaper digitization project at the National Newspaper Library, as well as guided tours of UCL and the Bloomsbury area of London will be included. Also included are presentations from experts in the field. Free time is built into the program so that participants can explore London, visit other libraries and cultural institutions of their choice or see other sites in Great Britain or Europe.

"The London Summer Seminar was one of the best experiences of my life; integrating all the top aspects of many types of librarianship, and the joys of being with other enthusiastic librarians in one of the best cities in the world. Not only do you get to visit the birthplace of libraries, but you are immersed into another way of life... British style. You will not want to leave the city or the friends you make here!"
                                                                               - London Seminar 2010 participant

For more details or to register, please visit: http://sils.unc.edu/programs/international/london

Prague, Czech Republic
----------------------------
Since 2002, SILS and Prague's Charles University have offered library students and professionals a chance to journey to the heart of the Czech Republic. Entitled "Libraries and Librarianship in the Czech Republic," participants in this program will enjoy lectures and tours related to librarianship in this culturally and academically rich country (that deals with a history of monarchy, empire, Communism and the meeting of east and west). The 2011 program will be offered May 22 - June 4, 2011.

A series of presentations is supplemented by a walking tour of the Old Town, Charles Bridge and Wenceslas Square; a bus tour of historic Prague, including Mala Strana, Nove Mesto, Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral and the Jewish Quarter; visits to the Klementinum (National Library), the town of Kromeriz to see a castle library, the Parliament Library, and a tour of Strahov Monastery and its libraries. There is also ample free time to allow participants to explore on their own or to travel further afield in the Czech Republic or other nearby countries.

"The seminar in Prague was a spectacular addition to my graduate studies. With the group I was able to see libraries and books unavailable to any tourist, or through any other program. The guides were attentive and put together creative and interesting programs and tours for us. We were treated like visiting scholars and colleagues. The Czech Republic itself is a quintessentially beautiful European country and we got to see quite a lot of it. I recommend this program to anyone!"
                                                                              - Prague summer seminar participant

For more about the summer seminar in Prague, visit: http://sils.unc.edu/programs/international/prague

Wanda Monroe
Director of Communications
School of Information and Library Science University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
100 Manning Hall, CB 3360
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3360
Phone: 919-843-8337
Web: sils.unc.edu