As we begin a new year, and as ALISE convenes its annual conference in San Diego, I thought it might be a good idea to reflect on major issues in LIS education for the upcoming year.

Past year's debates about ALA accreditation of LIS programs seem to have faded into the background. Are there still things to consider in this arena?

And, of course the impact of the current economic situation is a no-brainer. Higher education budgets are strained. How does this impact LIS education?

Beyond the fiscal situation, what might be the big challenges for LIS education in 2011 (and beyond)?

Bernie Sloan