Problems viewing this email? Click here to view it in your Internet browser.
Click here for further explanation of the Parents Association Weekly Emails.

December 15, 2010

Parents Association News

Parents & Families Fund Year End Gifts

To date, we have raised nearly $80,000 for the Parents and Families Fund just this year! If you made a pledge during our Annual Telefund camapaign, thank you! Please remember to fulfill those pledges so we can get closer to reaching our goal! If you were unable to pledge during the Telefund, we hope you will still be able to support the Parents & Families Fund in 2010. Gifts to the Parents & Families Fund are tax deductible and MUST be postmarked by December 31, in order to receive 2010 tax credit. Click here for more information or to make a gift. Feel free to contact our office at (865) 974-4546 to speak with one of our staff about giving or with questions.

Member Benefit Spotlight: Parent Helpline

One of the many benefits that the Parents Association provides to members is the Parent Helpline. There to assist you with any questions or issues you may have, the helpline number is (865) 974-4546 and is staffed Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Eastern time. We understand how important it is to keep parents and guardians informed. If you have any questions or just need to be put in contact with the right department, we are here for you.

Important Information for Students

Spring 2011 Payment and Confirmation Deadline

The payment and confirmation of attendance due date for Spring Semester is Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM. All students are required to set their Confirmation of Attendance to "YES" and make a 50% payment by the due date or their schedule will be canceled. Even if the fees are discounted or fully paid by a fee waiver, your student is still responsible for setting their Confirmation of Attendance to "YES"; otherwise their schedule will be canceled.

Gearing up for the Spring 2011 Semester

Residence Halls will open at 1:00 PM on Sunday, January 9 for the spring semester. Students living in on-campus housing may begin to return to their residence halls at that time. Campus Dining Spring Meal Plan begins on Monday, January 10. Spring 2011 semester classes begin on Wednesday, January 12.

UT Students Learn about Careers

The Office of Alumni Affairs is hosting the Tennessee Apprentice Program. The program is for any UT Knoxville undergraduate student who is interested in an opportunity to get an inside view of a career field of interest. The purpose of the program is to connect current undergraduate students with Tennessee alumni for a one-day job shadowing experience. An apprenticeship allows students to explore potential future careers and connect with alumni who have been in their shoes and want to help guide you in the right directions. The deadline to apply is January 21, 2011. Encourage your student to click here for additional information.

Academic Concerns

With two locations on campus to offer students academic support, the Student Success Center is always available to assist students with academic questions or concerns. Programs such as Supplemental Instruction are available through the Student Success Center. If your student has questions or concerns regarding academic support services or academic review, please visit the Student Success Center website.

Parents Association Scholarships

The Parents Association takes pride in providing numerous benefits to the students of our loyal members, including an exclusive scholarship program designed to provide the financial resources for your student's successful academic and professional career. These scholarships provide financial assistance specifically to students of UT Parents Association members in the areas of Academic, Leadership, Service, and International Study/Intern Abroad. The application period for the International Study/Intern Abroad scholarships will be during the month of February 2011. The application period for the Academic, Leadership, and Service scholarships will be later during spring semester 2011. Click here for more information.

Information for Parents

University Closed During Winter Break

As a reminder, the University will be closed from Friday, December 24 through Friday, December 31 for Winter Break. Offices will reopen on Monday, January 3. Have a happy holiday season.

Campus News and Information

UT Retention Rate Rises

UT Knoxville's Freshman-to-Sophomore retention rate has increased almost three percentage points from last year. In 2010, 86.2% of freshmen in 2009, returned in 2010. UT has embarked on a concentrated effort to keep students engaged and enrolled throughout their college "career". Programs like expansion of tutoring options, engagement opportunities, and Welcome Week programs are all part of this effort to help ensure student success. Click here for more information.

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE OFFICE OF THE PARENTS ASSOCIATION
412 STUDENT SERVICES BUILDING, KNOXVILLE, TN 37996

http://parents.utk.edu  ::  [log in to unmask]

Important Dates

December 24-31: University Closed for Winter Break

January 1: First Day to Submit Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Fall 2011

January 9: Residence Halls Open at 1:00 PM

January 10: Campus Dining Spring Meal Plan Begins

January 11: Spring 2011 Payment and Schedule Confirmation Due at 4:30 PM

January 12: Full and First Session Spring 2011 Semester Classes Begin

January 17: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (No Classes)

January 19: Direct Deposit of Excess Financial Aid Sent to Students' Designated Bank Accounts

January 21: Last Day to Add, Change Grading Options, or Drop without a "W" (Full Session Spring Courses)

February 1: Priority Application Date for Academic Scholarships for Returning and Transfer Students (Fall 2011)

February 1: First Day to Apply for Summer 2011 Financial Aid

February 1: Parents Association International Scholarship Applications Available Online

Campus Safety Information

No recent campus safety notifications have been broadcast to students.

For more information on campus safety measures and policies, visit http://safety.utk.edu and http://www.utpolice.org.

For more information on the T Transportation System available to all students, visit www.ridethet.com.

To ensure delivery, please add [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] to your email address book and your safe senders list.