Apologies for cross-posing.  Please note the application deadline is January 5.

Information in Society fellowships available

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is recruiting for new graduate education opportunities in the Information in Society specialization. Information in Society is an IMLS funded initiative and part of a broader initiative to enrich our school's research focus on the societal impacts of information and information technologies: http://www.lis.illinois.edu/academics/programs/phd/infosociety.
About the Program: We received a preparing future faculty grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to enhance and expand our doctoral studies in information in society, including policy, economic and historical dimensions. Our goal is to make visible, and draw together, key elements of the fragmented cross-disciplinary academic context within which the study of Information in Society is now occurring. Graduates of this specialization will be well prepared to teach the next generation of library leaders for whom it will be necessary to acquire a broad range of knowledge about the increasingly complex issues of our informationalized society and to operate at high levels of policy formulation. We have also instituted a speaker series to further enrich the curricular aspects of this specialization.

The awards will offer:
•    Grant-funded fellowship support for the first year of study and research and/or teaching assistantship appointments in subsequent years
•    Experience in organizing Information in Society guest lectures.
•    Generous support for conference-related activities.

Coursework: In addition to standard doctoral program requirements, first semester fellows must also take 590 IS, the Information in Society seminar. Drawing on classic and cutting-edge research on the system of information provision, this course provides conceptual foundations for historical, political-economic and policy analysis of information institutions and infrastructures.
Admissions Information: Awards are competitive and will be assigned to the most qualified applicants after admission to the GSLIS Ph.D. program. Information about the admissions process is available online at http://www.lis.illinois.edu/academics/programs/phd. Note the application deadline for study beginning fall semester 2011 is January 5, 2011.  For questions about Ph.D. admissions contact the GSLIS Admissions Office at (800) 982-0914.

For more specific information on the Information in Society Concentration, please contact Professor and Associate Dean Linda Smith at (217) 333-7742 or [log in to unmask].