What do you mean by "Kindle library"?  I don't understand what your
friend means. Amazon does not run a lending library.  Perhaps your
friend does not understand licensed content.

If your friend  means books for sale (or in the case of Kindle
documents,  it's actually  the /access/ that is for sale. It's licensed
content),  vendors add and remove works all of the time. Look at what
happens with online access licensing  to journals!

If your friend  means books which people have "purchased" and downloaded
to their personal devices,  Amazon removed only one title /from personal
devices/ (the publisher did not have the right to publish the work)  a
year or so ago ...  then regretted the decision and reassured customers
that they would never again remove titles from personal devices.  We had
that work on one of our Kindles  -- actually a collection of works by a
single author -- on our access account and Amazon refunded the fee and
gave us a legal copy of the work.     As far as I know  -- and I read
Kindle blogs daily --  that has never happened again.

On my Kindle device I  currently have works "purchased"  (or downloaded
for free) through Amazon and works purchased (or downloaded for free)
through other entities.   In the case of works from Amazon,  Amazon
provides a back-up archive so that I can  download it to any other
device - Kindle, computer, handheld, whatever, which I have registered
to my Kindle account ... including  any new device I might get in the
future.   On the 2008 Kindle, the memory was small enough that it
sometimes made sense to download a book, then delete it to save space
and perhaps download it again in the future.  That's not necessary on
the newer Kindles.

If I understand what your friend is saying below, s/he is saying that
Amazon removed the "additional access"(archive) feature for these books.
If people bought them and downloaded them to their own Kindle or other
device, they still have them.  Amazon does not control that.  If they
want to move them from one device to another without using the archive
feature, then can transfer them via a USB cable.  I often  transfer
files  I want to print out (mostly clippings of recipes from the /New
York Times/).

"Spreading the word" sounds to me like starting a rumor that is based on
the library lending model for print works rather than the online access
license model Amazon provides for Kindles and many other devices
(including my laptop).

Thanks for checking.

Michelynn McKnight

PS As for erotica,  there are plenty available through Amazon and other
sources.

--

Michelynn McKnight, PhD, AHIP

Associate Professor

Schoolof Libraryand Information Science

LouisianaState University

269 Coates Hall

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

225-578-7411

/Health Science Librarians: Doing better what they've always done well./