Dear STC-ETC members and listserv readers,

Many of us are rushing to meet deadlines before the holidays; others are hoping the coming year brings better employment prospects; students are enjoying a post-term slump as they ramp up efforts to fund their next term. All of this around holiday plans and travel.

In short, we are all experiencing a tide of activity, some welcome, some less welcome. Turbulence in the shallows can be fun, but too much, too deep, is not. That is where colleagues and friends help. We do better when we can count on colleagues to give us a boost.

This letter is a call for continued collegiality, professional development, and contribution outside of ourselves—whether it be to STC or to the community at large. In the spirit of the season, let us share our wealth, be it time, the most valuable item of all; expertise, won with time and dedication; or dollars, in pursuit of that additional good.

For those on the cusp of deciding whether to join STC or renew for 2011, let me encourage you to do so and to become more active in the chapter. Truisms hold, and “by giving, we receive” applies with a professional membership. I have been a member of STC for 25 years and I feel I have barely touched available resources. As I contribute time to STC events and connect with wonderful professionals in the chapter and Society, I see the benefits of staying close to this professional source of information and talent.

Our chapter has been very active the last few years: two successful regional conferences, a competition we hosted and another we co-judged. Board members are actively engaged. Our web guru, Laurel Bowen, has initiated a LinkedIn profile for the chapter and has started a couple of conversations. We have been able to offer regular programming and enjoy good attendance at meetings.

This coming year, we would like to reach out to businesses in ET to market our profession and identify potential employers. We would also like to create profiles for all chapter members so that when we have questions or need resources, we know whom to contact. Just this last quarter, I have had three referrals, all of whom came highly recommended. In addition, we would like to encourage members to present at chapter meetings.

As you build your list of resolutions for 2011, add “contribute more and receive more” through STC.

Warm wishes for the holidays,

Mary

Mary Ryba Knepper, President

East Tennessee Chapter, Society for Technical Communication

708.738.8178 cell

"Supporting technical enterprise and science through excellence in technical communication"