From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Mon 12/6/2010 9:20 AM
To: Horn, Sally P
Subject: Lysimeter sampling in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Hi Sally,

Below is information on a project that we're just beginning in GRSM.  It
involves collecting soil-water samples from plots in spruce-fir forests
throughout the park.  Overall, we're looking to correlate soil-water
chemistry with bulk soil chemistry and plant distribution - very geographic
in nature!  Currently, I'm looking for volunteer help.  I was wondering if
you could please pass along this email to club geography if in case anyone
in the department may be interested in getting some field-work experience
in the park.

Thanks!

Joshua

Hello All,

Poor air quality and related acid deposition from rain, snow, and clouds
threaten the viability of spruce-fir forests in Great Smoky Mountains
National Park.  A new study by the National Park Service (NPS) and
University of Missouri researchers is underway in Great Smoky Mountains
National Park to measure soil-solution (soil-water) chemistry across
high-elevation spruce-fir forests.  These data will be correlated with bulk
soil chemistry data, and then be used to examine plant distribution and
spruce-fir vegetation response to acid deposition.  There are a total of 30
randomly selected sample plots arranged throughout the spruce-fir forest
zone above 1500 m (5100 ft.).  They're located adjacent to trails in the
Clingmans Dome/Mt. Collins area, NE of Newfound Gap, and around Mt.
Leconte.  At each sample-plot location, two lysimeters (soil-moisture
probes) have been installed.  Water samples from each lysimeter will be
collected in the field, returned to the lab at Twin Creeks, cataloged, and
analyzed for their chemistry make-up.

Currently, we're looking for volunteers to assist with this study.
Overall, the project will include plenty of trail hiking, with most being
of moderate intensity.  A limited amount off-trail hiking will also be
required.  The volunteer will need to feel comfortable hiking on uneven
terrain, and perhaps in ice, snow, or windy conditions.  The field team
will always be comprised of at least two people (but the more the better),
which will include myself and/or Megan Cooke.  Due to unpredictable winter
conditions, we'll plan to meet at Twin Creeks Science and Education Center
in Gatlinburg and go up in a park vehicle.  Likewise, plenty of warm
clothing, snacks, and water will be needed.  We'll also take up an NPS
stove, radio, and any other gear that may be needed.  We can furnish a
backpack if needed.  We'll plan to conduct field work Monday-Friday,
depending on conditions.

If you're interested, please let me know and I can give you more details.
I can be contacted at [log in to unmask], or you can call me at
865-436-1200 ext. 769.

Best,
Joshua Albritton

Joshua W. Albritton