If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

For the week of Dec. 3, 2010

@COE is published on a weekly basis; however, next Friday's edition of @COE will be the last until Jan. 14, 2011, because of the Winter Break.

Please send your submissions for @COE to Julie Stansberry in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

UT Space Institute News

UTSI Faculty and Students Recognized at AIAA Annual Luncheon

The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Tennessee Section held its annual luncheon at the UT Space Institute Cafeteria on Nov. 17, 2010. This event is to honor individuals whose research and service achievements go above and beyond in furthering science and engineering or in providing educational outreach. Several UTSI students and faculty were recognized.

Brian Maicke received the AIAA Award for displaying remarkable spirit, teamwork, leadership, support and mentorship. Maicke’s award recognizes his research in the fields of high speed propulsion and theoretical modeling of aerospace engineering problems. He has also helped develop two short courses for AIAA, covering topics in hybrid rocket analysis and perturbation methods. He was nominated by Professor Joe Majdalani, Arnold Chair of Excellence in Advanced Propulsion.

Ben Klamm, James Rogers, Rayne Sung, Andrew Wilson and Dr. Stan Powell received the AIAA Award for their educational outreach in supporting projects at the Arnold Engineering Development Center (AEDC). This group was instrumental in a community effort aimed at promoting interest in STEM education (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). The students were nominated by Tom Best, AEDC’s Technical Director of plans and programs. Additionally, Dr. Trevor Moeller, MABE Department, accepted an award on behalf of the student branch of the Tennessee Section of AIAA for its support of the AAPS "Build Your Own Missile" booth at this year's Polly Crocket festival.

MABE Professor Jay I. Frankel received the prestigious General H. H. Arnold Award for outstanding personal contributions to the advancement of thermal analysis in harsh rocket environments and high speed propulsion systems. Professor Frankel is an active researcher in the area of integrating advanced measurement concepts and new sensor technology into a formulation for predicting heat-flux variations and temperatures in harsh environments, such as hypersonic combustors. Professor Frankel will be the Technical Chair for Thermophysics at the 50th Aerospace Science Meeting (ASM) to be held in Nashville, Tenn. in January 2012. He was nominated by Professor Joe Majdalani.

Dr. Robert Moore, Executive Director, commended the students and Professor Frankel as well-deserving recipients.

“To have such an active and supportive student section of AIAA speaks well for the university," Dr. Moore said. "I would also like to thank Dr. Joe Majdalani for his role in recognizing these individuals.”

Engineering Professional Practice Announcement

Prep for Success...

…with Engineering Professional Practice spring events

Engineering Professional Practice spring event dates have been set. The events are open to all undergraduate engineering students who are interested in obtaining a co-op or internship.

The Jan. 20 Information Session will kick off a series of “Prep for Success” workshops, which are geared toward preparing students to succeed at the March 3 Spring Engineering Fair and March 4 Interview Day. Each event will focus on specific information needed for students to excel during the competitive process of obtaining a co-op or internship position. Attendance at all events is highly encouraged, but not required.

Prep for Success: “Information Session”
Jan. 20 (Thursday) – 5 to 7 p.m., UC Shiloh Room
This session will primarily cover the types of jobs engineering majors perform and which employers hire which engineering majors, as well as the economics of co-op. The session will also cover the Engineering Professional Practice student registration process, where to obtain a resume template and the differences between a co-op and an internship.

Prep for Success: “Promoting Yourself”
Jan. 31 (Monday) – 5 to 7 p.m., 210 Alumni Memorial Building
This workshop will cover tips on how to prepare an effective resume, dressing for success, how to work a co-op/internship fair, and communication techniques that will set you apart from your competition.

Prep for Success: “Networking Essentials”
Feb. 7 (Monday) – 5 to 7 p.m., 210 Memorial Building
This workshop will cover the basics of networking with others and how to grow your network of supporters who can help you reach your goals. Also, discover how to learn about an employer culture, how to research employers, and basics of business ethics.

Interview Schedule Deadline
Feb. 18 (Friday) – Last day to schedule interviews before the fair
Feb. 18 is the last day to be added to employers’ interview schedules before the fair. Students are added on a first-come, first-serve basis, and openings fill quickly. To maximize opportunities, students are encouraged to set an appointment with their office advisor (Joyce or Suzanne) any time between now and early in the spring semester to discuss potential interviews; students should bring their spring class schedule with them to this appointment.

Prep for Success: “Interview Strategies”
Feb. 22 (Tuesday) – 5 to 7 p.m., UC Crest Room
This workshop will cover what employers want to see and hear during an interview; clothing and grooming tips that create a professional appearance; dining etiquette; things to say and do that will enable you to make a positive, lasting impression; and how to follow up with an employer after an interview.

Spring Engineering Fair
March 3 (Thursday) – 4 to 7 p.m., UC Volunteer Ballroom
Students are invited to attend dressed professionally and prepared to discuss co-op and internship opportunities with engineering employers. All engineering students are encouraged to attend for networking opportunities and potential interviews from employers who are filling their own interview schedules at the fair. Student ID is required at check-in.

Interview Day
March 4 (Friday) – Neyland Stadium East Skyboxes
Engineering Fair interviews will be held in the Neyland Stadium East Skyboxes; students with interviews should enter at Gate 26 next to Estabrook Hall.

Stay up-to-date with Engineering Professional Practice information and events by clicking the “Like” button on the program’s new Facebook page, by visiting its Web site at www.coop.utk.edu or by calling 865-974-5323.

Students, please note: If you receive a co-op or internship offer, please contact Engineering Professional Practice for help with paperwork and any preparations you may need – [log in to unmask], 865-974-5323 or 310 Perkins Hall.

Engineering Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured student: Ty Koelker

Ty Koelker is a mechanical engineering major who is currently working his second co-op rotation with Denso Manufacturing in Maryville, Tenn. He is on a year-long assignment, having worked his first rotation in Summer 2010 and is scheduled to work his third during the Spring 2011 term. He wrote the following during his first rotation:

“I worked in Alternator Sub-Assembly Production Engineering. This department at my company really focuses on assembly line productivity and cost-saving countermeasures. My first month primarily was 'getting my feet wet' with the company, learning procedures and my chain of command. I worked on small tasks and really supported other engineers in my group with a lot of testing and data collection.

“My second month I really began to feel comfortable and started to do things on my own. I was given gradually larger tasks and really began to work on my own without having to consult with my chain of command. I ran capability and productivity studies, which at my company, engineers do on a day-to-day basis.

“Into my third and final month of this term I have been given a couple projects that I can now work on, on my own, when I am not supporting other engineers in the group. I do believe that doing the whole year in one full term is beneficial because I will be able to continue on longer projects that really represent what I could possibly be doing when I get out of school. Especially here at my company, not many projects last less than four months.

“One challenge I encountered was on my first project. I had to design a drill press table with minimal space and had to make a lot of measurements. I found myself constantly having to go back out to the location and re-measure. So what I learned from this is a better way to measure and take down useful notes that apply to each situation.
“There are many training opportunities available; I consider when I come in here every day a training opportunity. The company does in fact offer classes, and there are a number of training manuals I have become familiar with...I have now become familiar with Auto Cad LT, Solid Works, reading and understanding P&ID drawings, welding machines, polishing and etching part cross-sections to observe and analyze microstructures, pull testing equipment, and CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine).
“The main thing I learned (from company meetings) was the important connection between engineering, production, accounting, purchasing, business planning, and upper management and all the departments of a company.”

Koelker said the following about something he wished he had known before his first day of work: “I wish I was familiar with automated assembly line production. This company uses at least five to 10 robots and thousands of pneumatic cylinders and servos on each line. We even have a 15-axis robot!”

Koelker advises other students considering this employer to “come in ready to learn, ask as many questions as you can, really pay attention and try to involve yourself in everything you can.”
“The most valuable benefit I received from this co-op was just the basic knowledge of how an engineering process is run and how it performs. When this is all said and done I will have had an entire year of experience at an entry-level engineering position. The co-ops here are not just the engineering teams’ go getters – we actually do engineering, and I am excited about what will come in my future from this opportunity.”
Students may read more about their peers’ co-op/internship experiences by logging into their Engineering Professional Practice profile via www.coop.utk.edu, clicking “Resource Library” (on the left margin) and selecting “Students at Work – In Their Own Words.” For information on engineering co-op and internships, contact Engineering Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or 865-974-5323.

Student News

Research Presentation Drive

Undergraduate research is a unique experience at the University of Tennessee that enhances the quality of education and provides numerous opportunities. The Chancellor’s Honors Program places a high emphasis on research and is looking to highlight the superior research efforts of undergraduate students. An opportunity to present undergraduate research takes place in the spring semester at the Tennessee Collegiate Honors Council Conference.

The Tennessee Collegiate Honors Council Conference (TCHC) is in Johnson City at ETSU the weekend of Feb. 18-19. This conference is a chance for honors programs throughout the state to gather and share the successes of their program by giving students an opportunity to present their individual or group research projects.
This event will give students experience presenting their research and provide honors students with an easily accessible outlet to disseminate their research. Interested students should contact Celsy Rimmer at [log in to unmask] to receive more information. The deadline for abstracts for TCHC is Dec. 13.

2011 Summer Internships for Undergraduate Students

Interested in a 10-week research experience that includes a $5,000 stipend plus travel expenses? If so, click here for more information.

More information

Areas of research: engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biological/life sciences, agricultural sciences, environmental science, emergency and incident management, psychology and social sciences.
Projects are offered at the following national research laboratories: Argonne, Lawrence Livermore, Los Alamos, Oak Ridge, Pacific Northwest, Sandia and Savannah River
Projects are also offered at the following DHS laboratory: Transportation Security Laboratory
Other research facilities include Battelle, National Institute of Standards and Technology and the Naval Research Laboratory
Locations: CA, CO, IL, MD, NM, NJ, SC, TN, WA
U.S. citizenship required application deadline: January 5, 2011
Administered by Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
Students Win First Place in Community Service Competition

The student chapter of the UT Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) recently won first place in the community service competition hosted by the College of Engineering’s Development Office and funded by the URS Corporation.

The award of $1,750 will be used to fund the ITE Rural Driver Education Project. This graduate student developed and run project will bring high school students from outlying rural counties to the university for a day this spring to gain insight into driver safety through the principles of science and engineering. The visiting high school students will also be given the opportunity to participate in a real-world research project involving the university’s state-of-the-art driving simulator. The Tennessee Section of ITE agreed to provide an additional $200 for the project, and the Southeastern Transportation Center agreed to match the awarded funds with an additional $1,950.

Faculty News

Dr. Hayes Serves on a Fats and Oils Technology Delegation Visit to China

In early September 2010, a delegation of scientists and engineers with expertise in fats and oils technology visited three cities in China (Beijing, Xi’an, and Shanghai) in order to foster increased collaboration and information exchange with Chinese fats and oils technical experts.

The trip was organized by People to People, a prestigious organization founded by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, whose mission is to enable the cultural exchange of students, professionals and scientists with their counterparts in other countries. The 11-member delegation included scientists from four countries: Brazil, Denmark, Switzerland, and the USA. Dr. Douglas Hayes (Professor, Biosystems Engineering, Adjunct Professor, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering) served as one of the delegates.

Specific venues included the Wilmar Research and Development Center (Shanghai), the State Administration of Grain (Beijing), and Beijing University of Chemical Technology (College of Life Science and Technology). The delegation also experienced several cultural endeavors that will bring memories of a lifetime: the Great Wall, Terra Cotta Warriors, Tianamen Square, the Forbidden City, and Lu Gardens in Shanghai.

Assistant Professor Named Vice Chair of the Task Group on Bridges

Dr. Qiuhong Zhao, Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, was recently named as the Vice Chair of the Task Group on Bridges: Stability of Steel bridges (TG04) of the Structural Stability Research Council (SSRC). The Structural Stability Research Council (SSRC) was founded in 1944 and is the world leading technical organization that offers guidance to specification writers and practicing engineers by developing procedures for the solution of stability problems, as well as facilitating and promoting economical and safe design.

Governor's Chair Professor Published Twice in December

Dr. William J. Weber, Governor's Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, has been published twice in the December issue of the Journal of Materials Research. His first article, Irradiation-induced defect clustering and amorphization in silicon carbide, can be viewed by clicking here. (Fei Gao contributed to this article as well.) His second article, Amorphization of nanocrystalline 3C-SiC irradiated with Si+ ions, can be viewed by clicking here. (W. Jiang, H. Wang, I. Kim and Y. Zhang contributed to this article as well.)
Career Services Announcements

EF 301 – Engineering Career Planning

Planning your class schedule for Spring 2010?  Don’t forget to register for EF 301 – Engineering Career Planning!

This class is offered each Spring and Fall semester and is taught at Career Services, 100 Dunford Hall, on Mondays from 1:25 – 2:15 p.m.  This class is a perfect fit for all juniors and seniors and will equip students with the right tools to land that great job. Sophomores and graduate students may also register for the course. The class is offered on a 1-hour Satisfactory/No Credit basis and is taught by April Gonzalez, Career Services Consultant for the College of Engineering.  Expect visits from company representatives, tips and tricks from HR Recruiters, advice on resumes, cover letters, interviewing and salary negotiation, and learn the ways you can stand out and get noticed at the job fairs.

Here’s what students are saying about the class:

“This is the most useful non-engineering class I have ever taken.  It gave me insider information about what employers are looking for during interviews, and I have a resume that I feel great about!”
“I felt that I knew exactly what the companies were looking for at the Job Fair and on my interviews.  The tips we got in class really helped me feel comfortable talking to the employers.”
“This class exceeded all my expectations – it really works!”
Don’t wait to sign up as space is limited, and the class will fill up quickly!

An Inside Peek into TVA Recap

The Career Services office would like to thank faculty, staff and student groups within the College of Engineering for their support of the TVA panel presentation on Nov. 17. More than 80 students attended this event to hear a panel of nuclear, mechanical, chemical and electrical engineers discuss their experiences working for TVA. Again, thank you for all that you do to support the Career Services programs and services. An additional thanks also goes out to AIChE, ASME, Theta Tau, UT American Nuclear Society, Institute of Nuclear Materials Management and IEEE for their co-sponsorship of this event.

Employer Information Session

Intel Corporation will be on campus Monday, Dec. 13 at 11 a.m. in the University Center Shiloh Room to discuss a full-time post-graduation position for Masters and Ph.D. level students in chemical engineering, materials science, and electrical engineering for a Technology Development Process Engineer. Do not miss this chance to speak with employer representatives about post-graduation opportunities.

Event Info: Intel Corporation
Location: University Center Shiloh Room