The University of British Columbia’s School of Library, Archival & Information Studies is pleased to announce that a record four of our MLIS students have been awarded prestigious scholarships from the Association of Research Libraries' Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce.

Mayu Ishida, Soyeong Jeon, Abraham de Jesus, and Qinqin Zhang were among only 15 students selected from across North America as the 2010-2012 ARL Diversity Scholars. Soyeong and Qinqin began their MLIS programs in September 2009; Abraham began the MLIS in September 2010; and Mayu will join SLAIS as an MLIS student in January 2011.

The award includes funding, a formal mentoring program, leadership development training (held during ALA Midwinter Meetings), career placement assistance, and support for skills development.

The full announcement is at www.arl.org/news/pr/Diversity-Scholars-28oct10.shtml

These awards confirm SLAIS and UBC's continued commitment to diversity, while also recognizing the outstanding quality of our students at the national/international level.

/Caroline

Caroline Haythornthwaite
Director and Professor
School of Library, Archival & Information Studies
University of British Columbia
Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
Suite 470- 1961 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1