At 04:58 PM 11/11/2010, you wrote:
>Yes and it has been bothering me since before I went to library
>school.  There seems to be an inherent anti-library bias on the part
>of school boards and local politicians.  My guess is that they don't
>see librarians as any kind of teacher; they are enamored of any
>technology they can get (as eliminating more of those pesky people
>who want pay increases, etc.); and possibly see little value to any
>kind of library.   I agree it bothers me, too.

I live in Chicago and read this story when it was first published on
Oct 26.  I made the following comment on the Tribune's web site.

School librarians need an endorsement to be a certified
librarian.  They can get this endorsement in a post-graduate
certificate program.  The do not need a masters degree.  Most public
library librarians need at least one masters degree.  Academic
librarians can get started with one masters degree, but usually earn
a second.  I teach library school classes and I can assure you that
to earn a masters degree requires a rigorous course of study.  The
difference between what a potential school librarian and a potential
academic librarian learns is at most two courses.   Most librarians
can easily learn how to be a good librarian in another type of
library.  Most non-librarian faculty members do not have the
understanding of information gathering and distribution to properly
guide students.  Trained librarians are needed for the success of
students and faculty.
School libraries tune their collection to the needs of the students
and the school curriculum.  Public libraries do not.
-----
I have visited many CPS school libraries.  I have yet to be impressed
with the collections, rooms, or librarians.  One library had a roof
leak that prevented books from being stored in 1/4 of the
library.  Another had a floor that was a danger to walk on.

Daniel Stuhlman
Chicago, IL
ddstuhlman at earthlink.net

Blog:  http://kol-safran.blogspot.com/      Latest entry Nov. 2