You probably already know this -- but for any who don't
The Registry settings to have a machine automatically log on to a specific account are in
HKEY_Local_Machine -- SOFTWARE -- Microsoft -- WindowsNT -- CurrentVersion
AutoAdminLogon = 1
DefaultDomainName = YOURDOMAIN
DefaultUserName = DESIREDNAME
DefaultPassword = THEPASSWORDFORDESIREDNAME

These area all RG_SZ (String Value) entries.  Some you may have to add.
These settings will cause a machine to automatically log in to the specified account every time it boots up.
If you want it to do the same every time someone logs off add the entry

ForceAutoLogon = 1

We have used this under XP Vista and Windows7.  Seems to work fine.

Since no one (except technical support staff) is allowed to log in with their own credentials -- and in fact unless they know the bypass trick -- the never see a logon screen we do not give patrons access to the logoff command.  But we have run into situations where a system error will trigger a log off.  That is why we added the ForceAutoLogon.

As for mandatory profiles -- we used to use those for the reason you mention-- even after we got DeepFreeze.
We had some support issues related to these -- including sporadic problems with them not loading fully.
It occurred to me that locally stored profiles would be maintained/restored by DeepFreeze so we dropped mandatory profiles about a year ago.

As for protecting personal data.
First - we make it clear in written policy and posted warnings that these are shared public computers and there is no expectation of privacy.
But we do take basic protective measures.
We set IE to delete temp files when it is closed.
We also do give patrons access to shutdown/restart the computer for any who may be concerned -- and DeepFreeze throws out everything they may have unknowingly left stored.

Sorry for the longwinded answer.
Hope there is something helpful to someone somewhere in there.

Paul H. Gray
Library Tech Manager
TCC Northeast Campus
Hurst, Tx
Opinions stated are strictly my own etc etc etc.