On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Chris Coveney wrote:

> We want to offer JPG images in place of microfilm of some of our
> collection. This would be done from a network share on networked
> microfilm scanner workstations (already logged into a generic account).
>
> Is there a way to make the images viewable and printable, but NOT
> saveable. (Do patrons can not steal the images.)

I am pretty sure that there is no mechanism in a JPG file itself for this.
I can't say whether there is a way inside a webserver for this.

However, if you made them available as PDF files, there IS a mechanism for
this. And if compression options are chosen well, a PDF should be only
slightly larger than the JPG contained within.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: [log in to unmask]
 company e-mail: [log in to unmask]
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA