Wiegand birdhouse depicting classic library to support Lowrie Endowment

The School of Library & Information Studies at The Florida State
University (FSU), College of Communication & Information, is pleased to
announce that a portion of the proceeds from the sale of a birdhouse
modeled after a classic Carnegie library in Osage, Iowa, will support
the Jean E. Lowrie Endowment.

The birdhouse is the brainchild of Dr. Wayne Wiegand, American library
historian and F. William Summers Professor at the FSU School of Library
& Information Studies. Osage Public Library is one of four Midwest
libraries featured in Wiegand's forthcoming work "Main Street Public
Library: Community Places and Reading Spaces in the Rural Heartland,
1876-1956" (University of Iowa Press).

Wiegand and his wife, Shirley, created The Jean E. Lowrie Endowment to
support school library media students at the FSU School of Library &
Information Studies with scholarships and fellowships. They did so to
honor his former professor and mentor at Western Michigan University.
Lowrie was instrumental in providing him with the opportunity to receive
a National Defense Education Act Fellowship.

"Little did either of us know how much that fellowship would mean to me,
how much easier it made my efforts to finish my education, provide for
my family, and prepare for what has been a wonderfully rewarding
career," Wiegand said. "Despite the huge demands on her schedule, she
somehow always found time to counsel and advise me. I am forever
grateful to her."

Lowrie was director of the School of Librarianship at Western Michigan
University (1963-1981) and founder of the International Association of
School Librarians. She served as President of the American Library
Association and was the first recipient of their American Association of
School Librarians Distinguished Service Award.

Wiegand had the idea for the birdhouse while visiting the Osage Public
Library for his book. Constructed in 1910 with a $10,000 gift from
Andrew Carnegie, it is similar in construction to hundreds of libraries
throughout the United States. The building is still is use, now as
Osage's city hall.

Priced at $150, the birdhouse is available to Florida State University
alumni, members of the Florida Library Association, and the Florida
Association for Media in Education for a special price of $99 (shipping
$10). To obtain the FSU alumni discount, enter the discount code "PLB1"
upon checkout. Learn more and purchase the birdhouse at:
http://www.hbbirdhouse.com/hb-9066_.271_.fj10.htm. For information about
contributing to the Lowrie Endowment, contact Mafe Brooks at
[log in to unmask] or at (850) 645-8312.

Bob Branciforte, MLIS

Creative Director

College of Communication & Information

The Florida State University

[log in to unmask]   E-MAIL

(850) 644-3391                      PHONE

(850) 644-9253                      FAX

Florida State University           ADDRESS

Room 021 LSB

142 Collegiate Loop

PO Box 3062100

Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2100