We use tattle tapes with mixed results. Mainly we check out the notebook to the patron on their library card (which they must have) and the computer stays inside the building. The fact that we also hold their driver's license until the computer is returned helps.

James Guilford, I.T. Manager
Westlake Porter Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jim Semmelroth" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent 9/13/2010 7:39:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LIBNT-L] Loaner Notebook Security

Hi. We are just looking at providing notebooks to patrons with the intent that they will stay in the building.  Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, regarding various techniques to keep patrons from walking off with these notebooks?

We have checkpoint EM gates.  We use 3M targets.  We can’t seem to place targets on notebooks at a place where they will reliably set the gates off.  We don’t care for the solution whereby the already stolen notebook calls into a service to locate itself, such as LoJack.

Has anyone tried anything else?  Thanks.

Jim Semmelroth

Missoula Public Library

406 258 3849