  We check them out through our circulation system, make the patron sign
a note saying they will be held responsible for unusual damage and let
'em go. We have a 4 hour loan period. If they're late returning, they
get a fine. If they damage the laptop they pay for the repair. We keep a
log of normal wear and tear and don't hold the users responsible for
normal wear such as the lid hinge wearing out. However if they crack the
monitor, or break the keyboard, or try to stuff the CD player in
backward, then they get billed.

We used to try to keep them inside the library's security gates. We had
security strips hidden all through the laptop cases, but then the
University opened a Starbucks right outside the security gates and we
just couldn't see keeping the children away from their coffee.

We've been checking out laptops for about 5 years now. We just started
letting them out of the building this year. So far so good...
David

--
David Robinson -- Systems Librarian
James E. Walker Library