from the Press Release, some industry news  / Emerald website  / kw

Emerald news
Emerald acquires information management group ASLIB

ASLIB acquired to run alongside Emerald Group Publishing

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/about/news/story.htm?id=2257

Press Release :

"United Kingdom, April 2010 – ASLIB, The Association for Information Management, has been acquired by MCB Group, the holding company for Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Emerald and ASLIB have been working closely together since 2001, when ASLIB’s collection of research journals, including Journal of Documentation and ASLIB Proceedings, were acquired by Emerald. The acquisition means that ASLIB’s services to members will continue and grow, and the operating name and identity of ASLIB will be preserved."

"Established in 1924, ASLIB has recently encountered difficult times. Following the sale of its journals to Emerald, ASLIB sold its book publishing business to Taylor and Francis in 2002, and went into voluntary liquidation in 2004, following which it was reconstituted as a limited liability company providing membership services to library and information professionals. "

"Emerald Joint CEO John Peters commented: “Following the acquisition of the ASLIB journals, we have worked very closely with the organization over the years, and were sad to see the decline of a highly regarded institution. This is a real opportunity for us to build a 21st Century member organization. ASLIB will be run independently, but will draw on services from Emerald, as well as other publishers. We plan to reinstate an Advisory Board, and to revamp and improve the ASLIB Managing Information (MI) Magazine.”

Future Plans
"Peters continued: “These are obviously difficult times for libraries and information services providers worldwide. We will hold ASLIB and MI subscription fees at current levels in 2010 and 2011, but will be looking to offer a raft of new service options for members. Our first step will be to go to current and former members, and our own LIS community of editors and advisers for consultation. It’s a great strategic fit for us, and an opportunity to build something of value to all ASLIB members, and to the LIS/Information and Knowledge Management community.”

"ASLIB’s registered office will move to Emerald’s UK headquarters in Bingley, West Yorkshire."

- ENDS -

About ASLIB
ASLIB was originally established as the Association for Special Libraries and Information Bureaux in London, following the September 1924 conference of that name. Its original ethos, which still applies today, was to serve “those engaged in the collection, treatment and dissemination in many departments of human activity”. ASLIB was set up to serve people playing the role of librarian or information professional, who were not necessarily professional librarians. ASLIB draws on members from academic, corporate and public sector organizations, with about 75% of its membership being UK-based. ASLIB also publishes the Managing Information magazine (distributed to members) which appears 10 times annually.

About Emerald  www.emeraldinsight.com
Established in 1967, Emerald Group Publishing Limited is the world's leading publisher of management research. In total, Emerald publishes over 700 titles, comprising 200 journals, over 300 books and more than 200 book series as well as an extensive range of online products and services. Emerald is both COUNTER 3 and TRANSFER compliant. The organization is a partner of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and also works with Portico and the LOCKSS initiative for digital archive preservation.

Emerald Management Plus is the largest, most comprehensive collection of peer reviewed management journals and online support for students, managers and researchers. With "Research you can use" as a publishing philosophy, the collection provides scholarly research that is both rigorous and relevant, with practical implications for professionals outside the academic world. For busy managers in corporate, federal and public organizations, Emerald Management First is an award-winning online knowledge and information resource.

Contact

Arnaud Pellé
Corporate Communications Manager
Emerald Group Publishing Limited
Phone: +44 (0) 1274 777700
Email: [log in to unmask]

Karen Weaver MLS, Electronic Resources Statistician, Duquesne University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask]

"It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets, 1999