[Please share with other lists as appropriate, and please excuse any duplication.]
Dear Library and Information Studies community and friends,
The University Libraries and the Department of Library and Information Studies at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) have received a second grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program to support the second cohort of the Academic and Cultural Enrichment (ACE) Scholars Program. The $889,401 grant will be used to recruit 15 students into the ACE Scholars Program, which has a goal to increase the number of culturally diverse librarians in academic libraries in the U.S. This initiative, in collaboration with the academic libraries at ten partner institutions in North Carolina, will provide the students with internship opportunities, pair them with experienced librarians for mentoring, and offer cultural enrichment activities during their Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) at UNCG.
Please share this excellent scholarship and educational opportunity with potential MLIS students of diverse backgrounds, who have an acute understanding of the information barriers facing underserved communities and a commitment to working to remove them. ACE Scholars at UNCG will study in a supportive learning community, will be challenged to develop information services to address equity, diversity and inclusion, will have access to resources to assist in their academic success, and will learn to network to advance their academic, service and professional goals.
The ACE Scholars will receive:
· full coverage of tuition and fees, and a stipend ($1,300 per month) to attend the UNCG LIS program, full time up to five semesters
· memberships to the American Library Association and the North Carolina Library Association
· travel expenses to attend a national library conference
· internship opportunities at participating libraries
· networking and mentoring opportunities
· an opportunity to meet and discuss issues with national leaders through the Program’s Speaker Event, etc.
· Go to our website to learn about admission and application requirements: http://lis.uncg.edu/admissions/financial-support/ace-scholars-program/
· Deadlines for ACE Scholars applications: January 15, 2011 and MLIS applications: February 1, 2011.
· About the first cohort of ACE Scholars and partner libraries, visit our website.
· About the UNCG Department of Library and Information Studies, visit: http://www.uncg.edu/lis/
· IMLS grant: Dr. Sha Li Zhang, e-mail: [log in to unmask], phone: 336.334.4705
UNCG looks forward to welcoming its second cohort of ACE Scholars in Fall 2011.
Best regards,Clara M. Chu, Ph.D.