I suspect that 5-6% figure is based on truck registrations?

Dan Murray
Vice President, Research
American Transportation Research Institute
www.atri-online.org

In a message dated 9/9/2010 12:52:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
  5-6% is typically the percent of trucks in total (day + night)
traffic. At night, and particularly at interstates, it is larger.

Are the 5-6% figures for total or only for night traffic? My sense is
that this may have an impact on your analysis.

jhv

On 9/9/2010 1:21 PM, Dale A Tabat wrote:
> All,
> Both nationally and in the State of Washington, 22 percent of fatalities
> occurring in highway work zones from 2002 to 2009 involved freight trucks.
> The average percentage of trucks in Washington State highways is 5-6
> percent so heavy trucks are over represented in work zone fatalities. WSDOT
> and agencies are looking to perform root cause analysis of the problem to
> focus potential solutions on elements that most significantly contribute to the
> problem.
>
> I am interested in obtaining information related to this research and would
> appreciate any work being done or completed.
>
> Are other states doing analysis in this area?
> Are other states interested in this problem?
>
> Thank you,
> Dale A Tabat
> Truck Freight Program and Policy Manager
> Washington State DOT

Jose Holguin-Veras, Ph.D., P.E.

Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director of the Center for Infrastructure, Transportation,
and the Environment (CITE)

175 years of Excellence! (1835-2010)

4030 Jonsson Engineering Center
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute