Agree with Jose. In NY we often see 15-20% trucks (overall) on
interstates and on very rural interstate sections, up to 30% or
thereabouts. During the night time hours, the values are always much
higher than a section's 24 hour average, regardless of urban/rural.
Controlled access highways also tend to have higher operating speeds
(even in work zones) than non-controlled access highways/arterials and
there is generally a direct correlation between operating speed and the
likelihood of a fatality.  These and other factors need to be taken into
account in the determination of whether or not a certain vehicle class
is positively correlated with an elevated crash/fatality pattern.

To example, years ago, a push was underway to ban freight trucks (Class
5+) from a section of highway during commute hours as there was a
perception that they were overtly involved in crashes. I did a manual
review of 3 years worth of police accident reports and found that heavy
trucks were slightly less crash prone than the rest of the population on
this highway section. The real problem vehicle class turned out to be
panel vans often used by small businesses. It was suspected that this
was because they tend to have poor rear visibility due to a lack of
windows and the drivers are as not as stringently licensed as heavy
truck drivers are. Those details got lost in the translation of how the
police classify vehicles in crash reports and the FHWA style vehicle
classes used by surface transportation professionals! Long story short,
details matter!

I would also recommend the consideration of crashes with injuries too,
as they are a harbinger for fatalities. If the person was injured but
barely survived or permanently incapacitated, it would still count as
"only" an injury. These numbers are also much higher than fatal crashes
and provide a more statistically robust population for analysis.
Fatalities, on the whole, tend to be a small number and their occurrence
may statistically fall into the realm of randomness. (Again, that
depends upon the specific details)!

Lee Maynus, P.E.
Principal Engineer
Calmar Telematics, LLC