If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

For the week of September 17th, 2010

@COE is published on a weekly basis. The next edition will be sent out on Friday, Sept. 24.

Please send your submissions for @COE to Julie Stansberry in the Engineering Communications Office at [log in to unmask] by noon on Thursdays.

Nuclear Engineering Colloquium Announcement

"Research Activities from EPRI’s Fuel Reliability Program"

Speaker: Kurt Edsinger, Manager, Nuclear Fuel, Electric Power Research Institute in Palo Alto, Calif.

When: Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2010, from 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.

Where: Room 308, Pasqua Engineering Building

Webcast: http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/colloquia
Viewers of the live webcast may submit questions and/or comments to the speaker either before or during the live webcast via an e-mail message to [log in to unmask] Please include your name and affiliation in your e-mail message. Viewers who miss the live webcast can view the archived webcast, which is usually posted within 24 hours, at http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/colloquia/Archive/. Viewers may also receive the speaker's slides in PDF format via e-mail request to Kristin England ([log in to unmask]) after the live webcast.

Abstract

The Fuel Reliability Program drives improvements in nuclear fuel performance and reliability based on issues encountered at operating plants around the world. Fuel reliability is critical to the safety and economic viability of a nuclear power plant. The Fuel Reliability Program develops knowledge, guidance, and tools to maximize the reliability of nuclear fuel and core components. The program is focused in the following areas:

- Fuel performance and reliability: Quantify fuel operational margins and identify fuel failure mechanisms through poolside and hot cell examinations.

- Fuel corrosion and crud control in Pressurized Water Reactors (PWRs) and Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs): Improve industry understanding of the links between water chemistry, crud, and fuel reliability in pressurized and boiling water reactors. The research combines fuel surveillance programs and mechanistic studies to develop various guidelines and improve predictive capabilities.

- Fuel regulatory issues: Serve as the industry focal point on technical aspects of regulatory issues by participating in experimental programs and performing independent analyses to ensure the adequacy of proposed modifications to various accident criteria.

All students and faculty are invited to attend. UTNE Graduate Students who hold Assistantships or Fellowships are required to attend in person.

Refreshments will be provided in 219 Pasqua immediately following the colloquium.

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Colloquium Announcement

"Meshing Techniques for Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations and Shape Matching"

Speaker: Dr. Suzanne M. Shontz - Pennsylvania State University

When: Thursday, Oct. 7, 2010, at 2 p.m.

Where: Room 102, Claxton Building
Abstract

Meshes are typically required when solving problems involving the numerical solution of partial differential equations (PDEs) or computer graphics/vision. The meshing requirements for these two categories of problems are very different. Meshes generated for the numerical   solution of PDEs must be of good quality so that the corresponding simulation is accurate, stable, and efficient. However, meshes generated for computer graphics/vision problems must be such that they can be rendered quickly and have high asthetic appeal and visual recognition.

In this talk, I will discuss the unique challenges and requirements involved in generating meshes for these two categories of problems. I will describe meshing algorithms which we have developed for the generation of anisotropic meshes for use in the numerical solution of   various types of PDEs. I will also describe a meshing-based shape matching algorithm which we have developed.

This talk will be accessible to undergraduate students in scientific computing and will be of interest to graduate students and faculty, as well.

Parts of this talk represent joint work with Jibum Kim and Shankar Prasad Sastry of Penn State.

Refreshments will be served after the talk at 3 p.m. in the Claxton 203 Conference Room.

Engineering Profesional Practice Cookout Photos and Info

 The Engineering Cookout was a great success!

(Due to browser issues in last week's @COE, we are running this story again.)

Adtran employees talk to an interested engineering student about their company.

Representatives from Alcoa

Wayne Davis, dean of the College of Engineering

Todd Reeves, director of Engineering Professional Practice

Garmin representatives

Eastman representatives speak with a female engineering student about upcoming career opportunities.

Faculty, staff and students fill their plates with food from Buddy's.

Shaw representatives

Students enjoy fellowship during the Engineering lunch.

Southern Company representative

The Engineering Professional Practice office hosted its annual Engineering Cookout Sept. 3 on the Engineering Lawn in front of Ferris Hall. Wayne Davis, College of Engineering dean, and Todd Reeves, director of Engineering Professional Practice, kicked off the event with the ceremonial “first plates” of food. Nearly a thousand students, faculty and staff members enjoyed the cookout, which was catered by Buddy’s bar-b-q. Students took the opportunity to speak with event sponsors – Shaw, Alcoa, Eastman Chemical, Garmin, Adtran, and Southern Company – about the job market and various positions the sponsors plan to fill in the coming year. Kimberly-Clark also sponsored the event but was unable to have company representatives present.

Engineering Professional Practice Upcoming Events

Fall 2010 Calendar of Events

Interview Schedule Deadline

Sept. 17 is the last day to be added to employers’ interview schedules before the fair. Students are added on a first-come, first-serve basis, and openings fill quickly. To maximize opportunities, students are encouraged to set an appointment with their office advisor (Joyce or Suzanne) any time between now and early in the fall semester to discuss potential interviews; students should bring their fall class schedule with them to this appointment.

Sept. 17
Prep for Success: “Interview Strategies” Workshop

This workshop will cover what employers want to see and hear during an interview: clothing and grooming tips that create a professional appearance; dining etiquette; things to say and do that will enable you to make a positive, lasting impression; and how to follow up with an employer after an interview.

Sept. 20: 5 p.m.
210 Alumni Memorial
Fall Engineering Fair

Students are invited to attend dressed professionally and prepared to discuss co-op and internship opportunities with engineering employers. All engineering students are encouraged to attend for networking opportunities and potential interviews from employers who are filling their own interview schedules at the fair. Student ID is required at check-in.

Sept. 27: 4-7 p.m.
UC Ballroom
Interview Day

Engineering Fair interviews will be held in the Neyland Stadium East Skyboxes; students with interviews should enter at Gate 26, next to Estabrook Hall.

Sept. 28
Neyland Stadium, East Skyboxes

Further details will be announced in future editions of @COE. For information about any of these events, contact Engineering Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or 974-5323.

Engineering Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured student: Christopher Drinnon