Hi everybody,

Having taught classes on digital collections in libraries, archives and museums at Syracuse University and Catholic University, I know that interest in collaboration and convergence among these communities is on the rise in iSchools and among the student population. Here’s an opportunity to engage your cohort around these issues: we will live-stream the Forum "Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration" from the Smithsonian Institution on September 20th and 21st. If you check the program at http://www.oclc.org/research/news/2010-07-30.htm, you’ll see we’ll have an excellent roster of speakers. Or watch a tongue-in-cheek video promoting the event at http://bit.ly/bVVQNb (I bet your students would like that one.)

We thought iSchools in particular would be interested in setting up viewing parties for their students, and perhaps for the libraries, archives and museums on campus. You can chose to view only parts of the conference and cap it with a moderated discussion among your local attendees, or you can view the entire day. All that’s required is for you to make a room available with a projector and screen. (We’ll post the URL for the livestream on the program webpage in the coming days.) We’ve also set up a MeetUp site which allows you to communicate with your community about your viewing party – please add your event at http://www.meetup.com/Yours-Mine-Ours-Leadership-through-Collaboration/. (If you don’t add it, I’d still appreciate it if you dropped us a line to let us know you’re holding an event just so we know whether this is a good model we should keep following in the future.)

If you have any further questions about Viewing Parties, please contact my colleague Ricky Erway ([log in to unmask]). Below you’ll find a copy & paste of the original press release announcing the live streaming of the event.

Cheers,

Günter Waibel
Program Officer, OCLC Research

Günter blogs at ... http://www.hangingtogether.org

Follow me on Twitter ... http://twitter.com/GuWa

Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration Forum to Be Streamed Live, 20-21 September

DUBLIN, Ohio, USA, 30 July 2010—All are invited to attend in person or host a local viewing party and watch a live stream of this event to learn more about the benefits and challenges of collaboration within and across institutions.

OCLC Research and an RLG Partnership planning committee have created a two-day event on strategies for effective collaboration that will be hosted by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C, 20-21 September 2010. Building on the success of our workshops on LAM (libraries, archives and museums) convergence held at five RLG Partner institutions in 2007/2008, the "Yours, Mine, Ours" Forum will shine a light on collaboration from a local institutional perspective as well as cross-institutional and network-level vantage points. What is necessary to ensure successful outcomes? What lessons learned by others can help us all do better? Participants will take away specific strategies and models to realize their own collaborative ambitions.

The event will feature three keynote speakers and thematic panels. Speakers will focus first and foremost on their leadership strategies in making their collaborations a success, and exemplify these strategies with the specific projects they are spear-heading. An opening keynote by Allan R. Cohen, Professor of Global Leadership and Director of Corporate Entrepreneurship, Babson College, on the emerging area of management theory and practice in collaborative leadership will expose participants to new ideas for creating a more collaborative work culture.

Because travel budgets are limited and there are limited number of spots available at the event venue, the event will be streamed live for remote viewing. Those unable to attend in person are encouraged to host a local viewing party and invite a group of like-minded individuals watch a live stream of the event together. A viewing party can span all or any part of the entire two-day event. Remote viewers can leverage the event as a catalyst for change by watching it in its entirety or viewing a segment of interest, followed by a discussion of local implications with those in the room.

This event is hosted by the Smithsonian Institution; supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation; and endorsed by the Joint SAA, ALA and AAM Committee on Archives, Libraries & Museums (CALM).

More information

Host a Local Viewing Party of Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration
http://www.meetup.com/Yours-Mine-Ours-Leadership-through-Collaboration/

Register to Attend Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration in Person
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CollaborationForum

Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration Overview and Agenda
http://www.oclc.org/research/events/2010-09-20.htm