Re: from the Chronicle of Higher Education: Tenure, RIP: What the Vanishing Status Means for the Future of Education (fwd)
It's been several years since I taught as adjunct, but I'll be glad to share what I remember. And now I can compare it with teaching on the tenure-track.

As an adjunct, I was able to focus entirely on teaching and curriculum development. There was no pressure to publish and no requirement that I perform service. Yes, I was working other jobs, but those were essentially 9-5 jobs, so I actually had free time that I could spend as I chose. Also, since I usually taught only one course a semester, I could focus on improving that single course.

The biggest challenge, in a word, was isolation. I was not part of the governance of the school, had no input into curricular and other decisions, was not aware of planned changes to the program; I did not get to know the students; I was not in a position to advise them about their program or their career. More than once I had the feeling that a particular student was on the wrong path, but it was not my place to advise that student; besides, I did not have enough information to know whether my feeling was correct.

I had very little contact with the tenure-track faculty, except when I team taught. I was not able to discuss problems I was having with specific students, how my course was integrated into the curriculum, better methods of teaching -- the things I take for granted now. I also had little contact with other adjuncts.

From a personal standpoint, there was the constant uncertainty about whether I would be teaching again, and if so, what. I understood and understand the budgetary constraints, so I'm not sure what the solution to that would be. It would be nice to be told how many semesters you would be teaching for the entire budget year -- or not teaching, as the case may be. At least that way people can plan.

Suzanne M. Stauffer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Louisiana State University
275 Coates Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
(225)578-1461
Fax: (225)578-4581
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

--T.S. Eliot, "Choruses from The Rock"