At 10:11 AM 07/10/2010, you wrote:
>With a few variations on the theme, pretty much what Jim said. My primary
>adjunct gig is with a school where I was a regular faculty member
>for 14 years,
>so I pretty much know the ropes.

Being an adjunct is a mixed blessing for the parties involved.  As
working librarian teaching what I did on the job was an advantage
that no full time academic could beat.  Every week during the class
session I could write a message to the students chronically
interesting questions and events of the week.  The down side is never
knowing from one semester to the other what or if you are
teaching.   I felt like I was an hourly employee, not being paid by the hour.

Some schools are better than others; none pay a reasonable rate for
the amount of hours invested.

If the school offered a salary a half  time salary for half time
work,  that would be fair.  One semester I taught four classes and
the pay was not even close to half of what a full time professor
earned.  I tried one school that a course I was teaching was
obsolete, but they would not let me update it.  Once I was given the
wrong syllabus and I prepared the wrong course.  On the first day of
class I discovered that I needed to change textbooks and prepare all
new materials.  I got through the course, even though I was not an
expert in that subject.

Since I taught on line I had to pay for my own space, overhead,  and computer.

BTW  -- I have openings for teaching online courses for the fall.  If
you know of any openings, I let you know what courses I can teach.

Daniel Stuhlman
Chicago, IL
ddstuhlman at earthlink.net

Blog:  http://kol-safran.blogspot.com/