FYI.  Shih-Lung

________________________________

From: Katie McKenzie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:54 PM
To: Katie McKenzie
Subject: Paid GIS Internship with EPA in Washington, DC this fall!

Dear Faculty Member,

Good afternoon! My name is Katie, and I contacted you this past December
regarding a paid spring internship opportunity with the Environmental
Protection Agency utilizing ArcGIS. I am happy to say that the EPA has
chosen to contract with The Washington Center again to promote and
facilitate this educational opportunity for the Fall 2010!

The position description and application instructions is attached to
this email. I have also copy and pasted this information for you below,
in case this is more convenient for you. I would greatly appreciate your
help in passing word of this opportunity to your students. (On a related
note, I realize that this is very late to be sending out for the Fall
2010 semester. I do apologize for this. Unfortunately, due to the
contracting schedule, we rarely receive much advanced warning. However,
for the right student, this could be the opportunity of a lifetime and
so worth the tight turn-around.)

The Washington Center is a non-profit organization here in Washington,
DC that provides internship support, academic programming and housing to
students participating in our academically-based internship programs. We
seasonally serve as a contractor for various government agencies to
search out internship applicants meeting specific criteria, as is the
case here.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns! I would be
more than happy to help however I can. Thank you for your time and
consideration, and I hope you have a lovely day.

Sincerely,

Katie

Katie McKenzie

Program Coordinator, Institutional Relations

1333 16th Street, NW

Washington, DC 20036-2205

Direct phone: (202) 238-7729

Fax: (202) 238-7700

Email: [log in to unmask]

www.twc.edu

Paid Fall 2010 Federal Internship Opportunity Utilizing GIS!

Come join The Washington Center for a 15 week-long internship with the
Environmental Protection Agency and participate in an integrated work
and academic program in Washington, DC!

The Environmental Protection Agency is looking for a motivated intern to
assist in assessing the environmental impacts of air market programs
through geospatial data analysis projects related to atmospheric
deposition, water quality, biological and ecological assessment, and
ecosystem services. The intern will provide analytical support for EPA's
surface water and atmospheric deposition monitoring programs. The intern
will work closely with staff to examine environmental data and perform
temporal and spatial analyses to understand the relationships between
changes in acidic atmospheric deposition, surface water acidity, and
ecological integrity. Additionally, the intern will experience the daily
operations of EPA firsthand and have the opportunity to meet with EPA
employees to learn about various career paths.

Accepted students receive scholarships covering the cost of The
Washington Center's Program and housing fee for living in furnished
housing facilities, as well as a living stipend.

Qualifications:

*         United States citizenship;

*         Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student with a GPA of
3.0 or higher;

*         Undergraduate students must receive credit for participating
in this program (if you have questions regarding this requirement,
please contact [log in to unmask]);

*         Available for a fifteen-week period beginning September 1st,
2010;

*         Proficiency with GIS software (ArcGIS 9.2).

*         Applicants should be independent and proactive workers who are
detail-oriented and have experience manipulating data. Knowledge of GIS
is required; knowledge or willingness to learn databases, Google Earth,
ORACLE, Microsoft Access, Adobe Illustrator, etc. is desirable.

Intern Duties:

*         Acquiring, examining, updating, merging, and displaying
geospatial data using ArcGIS 9.2 and basic database manipulation.

*         Providing geographic information systems (GIS) and database
support, such as providing, GIS technical assistance, geospatial and
mapping analyses, data formatting, and database construction.

*         Additional work may include self-directed or other data-driven
projects based on the candidate's interests and skills.

How to Apply:

Students must submit an online application at http://secure.twc.edu.
Once they create a username and log in, they should select "Internship"
from the drop-down menu, and select "Apply Now." Under the Personal
Information tab, students should select "Government Scholarship
Program." Students should check the Environmental Protection Agency box.
Students must submit official transcripts to The Washington Center.
Please note that there is no application fee in order to apply for this
program; if the student is prompted to provide payment information, they
have selected the incorrect application and should make sure they have
selected the Government Scholarship Program. If they have any concerns,
they should contact Katie at [log in to unmask] or 202-238-7729.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with a deadline to
submit the application by August 15th.