We started issuing laptops to select staff over 7 years ago. Every year
since we issue more and more of them. In general we have found they
improve productivity and are no more trouble than desktop pcs. You will
want to modify your policies and procedures to include issued laptops.
Most of our regular staff computer polices covered them as well as the
desktops and we already had procedures for issuing equipment to staff
which we modified to include laptops. In answer to your questions:

1.       Yes. We solicit input from the staff who will use them as to
specifications (screen size and features). They don't get to choose
make, that's left to IT. We have tried netbooks but after the novelty
wore off staff preferred something a little larger. We also issue smart
phones to a few select staff who have a demonstrated need.

2.       Depends on the need. Most of the laptop users have a desktop pc
as well.

3.       Depends on the need, but we tend to have more problems with the
loaners and floaters than we do the units that are issued to a specific
person. They just take better care of them when it is "their" laptop.

4.       Yes.

5.       Our policy provides for holding the user responsible if they
were negligent but in practice we never have. Over the years we had one
stolen, two damaged from dropping, and one damaged from being run over.
We probably will deploy tracking software next fy, budget permitting.

6.       Personal preference. We have bought docking stations but most
users just plug in an external monitor and use an external mouse. Only
one uses and external keyboard. A couple just use the laptop alone.

7.       We have in-house IT and laptops get the same support as our
desktops. 24/7/365 for critical work stopping issues, next business day
for everything else. If outside normal business hours support is limited
to email and telephone. The only time a laptop user has ever called in
for support has been when they were away at conferences or workshops and
once when a staff member was in the hospital for an extended stay and
was working from there. Normally they just bring the laptop in to IT if
there is a problem. We generally have fewer support calls on laptops.

8.       We do not allow any protected staff or patron data on laptops,
flash drives, CDs, etc. that leave the facility. This is strictly
enforced and briefed to staff all the time. At this time we do not
encrypt laptops.

9.       They tend to cost more than desktop pcs but support time is
about the same. Besides an occasional memory upgrade we don't upgrade
laptops like we tend to do with desktop units. We buy at least a
computer carrying case and an external mouse for each laptop. For some
users, depending on need, we also buy auto chargers, cellular modems,
and other accessories. Laptops tend to be in service about 4 years
before being replaced while we have some desktops that are twice that
old. When past their prime we sometimes repurpose laptops as static
machines for pacs or to drive public information displays.

10.   We don't allow staff administrative privileges on the laptops and
only software installed by IT is allowed. Our network based antivirus
software is installed and the systems are set to auto update when
connected to our network. IT keeps an eye on when they last connected to
the network and can recall a machine if it hasn't been in for a while.

Phillip B. Whitford

Infrastructure Manager

Braswell Memorial Library

Rocky Mount, NC 27804