From: Loriene Roy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: San Jose SLIS to Award Scholarships to American Indians and Alaska Natives
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 8:02 PM

Hello, Frank,

SJSU has worked with a group of advisors in developing this IMLS grant proposal. As one of the advisors, I recall that we had extended communication about respectful terminology.

Definitions for indigenous peoples still are contested ground and my general rule of thumb is to include names that Native peoples prefer. In working with many Native communities over the years I have come to learn that American Indian or Indian are still used phrases, much so than Native American.

Loriene Roy,
Anishinabe; Enrolled: White Earth Reservation; Member: Minnesota Chippewa Tribe

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Lambert, Frank wrote:

> It is astonishing that any institution of higher learning would refer to North America’s native peoples as “Indians.”  It’s as though
> SLIS was the first graduate school off of the ships navigated by the first western European explorers 5-600 years ago and believing
> that it had actually landed on the Indian subcontinent.  Amazing!  Well, if it is okay for Library of Congress to continue to
> perpetuate this term of ignorance in its list of subject headings, I guess it is perfectly fine to continue using it in other
> contexts.  Or is it?
>

> FL
>

> ~~
>
> Frank Lambert, Ph.D.
>
> Assistant Professor

> Kent State University
>
> P.O. Box 5190
>
> 314W University Library
>
> Kent, OH 44242
>
> 330-672-0015-voice
>
> 330-672-7965-fax

> "A little learning is a dangerous thing;
>
> Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring."
>
> -Alexander Pope (An Essay on Criticism - 1711)

-- +++++*********************************************************************+++++
Professor
School of Information, The University of Texas at Austin
1616 Guadalupe St., Suite #5.202
Austin, TX 78701-1213

Phone: (512) 471-3959; Fax: (512) 471-8285
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Faculty website: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~loriene
See my new blog, "From All Directions," at http://aie.greenwood.com/blog

Project Director, "If I Can Read, I Can Do Anything", a national reading
    club for Native children: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~ifican

Trustee, LeRoy C. Merritt Humanitarian Fund. Find out more at merrittfund.org