From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Loriene Roy
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: San Jose SLIS to Award Scholarships to American Indians and Alaska Natives

Hello, Frank,

SJSU has worked with a group of advisors in developing this IMLS grant
proposal. As one of the advisors, I recall that we had extended
communication about respectful terminology.

Definitions for indigenous peoples still are contested ground and my
general rule of thumb is to include names that Native peoples prefer. In
working with many Native communities over the years I have come to learn
that American Indian or Indian are still used phrases, much so than Native
American.

Loriene Roy,
Anishinabe; Enrolled: White Earth Reservation; Member: Minnesota Chippewa
Tribe

--
Professor

Phone: (512) 471-3959; Fax: (512) 471-8285
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Faculty website: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~loriene
See my new blog, "From All Directions," at http://aie.greenwood.com/blog

Project Director, "If I Can Read, I Can Do Anything", a national reading
 	club for Native children: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~ifican

Trustee, LeRoy C. Merritt Humanitarian Fund. Find out more at merrittfund.org