Chris,

Any particular reason not to be on a domain? It seems that it would be a ridiculously easy investment to justify the cost of a box running Windows server to allow you to use Active Directory and Group Policy to do all of the things you listed below. I manage around 90 public and staff computers at two locations on two networks and I can't imagine doing that without the tools available throught a Windows domain controller.

Andrew Mutch
Libra

From: Library NT [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Cooper
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Deep Freeze vs. SteadyState

We are preparing to purchase DF Enterprise on a grant for the main reason stated in this discussion: “centrally managing” our PCs. I have been using the Gates PAC tool / Shared Computer Toolkit / SteadyState since 2002, when we received our first Gates grant. We are currently running Windows XP, CA eTrust anti-virus* and PC Reservation by Envisionware (plus LPT.One print management). I have all computers configured to run Windows and eTrust updates daily through SteadyState’s Disk Protection tool, and it is working very well.

The only reason I am tempted to even consider DF is because of the central management feature (92 public PCs and growing, and only one desktop support person). However, now I am having reservations about it because it won’t help me to control the following:

Locking down – Add printers, control panel, task manager, change password, network places, viewing and changing C: drive, run command, management console, autoplay CDs, locking the workstation, keyboard shortcuts, access to certain programs, etc, etc. I will still have to use SteadyState and touch each and every computer to make changes. I still cannot control these computers remotely, like I could if I were on a domain (which I am not, on this network) with SMS or Remote Desktop. I’ve tried TightVNC but it’s a bit hoaky and unreliable.

I also cannot centrally customize desktop icons or IE toolbars, menu items and favorites with DF; I still can’t centrally update certain applications (like Adobe) without a script (I really don’t do scripting), and I can’t add/remove printers from the console. Am I right? So aside from doing what SteadyState Disk Protection does from one location, can someone tell me…why do I want DF?

Chris Cooper | Library PC Technician
Everett Public Library

*BTW, just between the two of us – we went without virus protection for years because of disk protection. But we are now using it simply to protect our patrons, not necessarily our hard drives. We don’t want them bringing in or taking malware elsewhere.