ALISE 2011, San Diego, CA, January 4-8
Conference Theme: Competitiveness and Innovation
Historical Perspectives Special Interest Group

Call for Paper or Panel Presentation – DEADLINE: JULY 10, 2010

In keeping with the 2011 ALISE Conference Theme, “Competitiveness and Innovation”, the Historical Perspectives SIG invites submissions for an individual paper, or for a 3-4 person panel program that highlights the history of innovation and competitiveness in the field (interpreted broadly.)

Library/Information Science/museum/archives history is rich in examples of innovation and competition. Consider, for example, Dewey’s (mostly) female library school class of 1883, something as foundational as the relationship between “library science” and “information science,” or even whether libraries should lead or follow in the use of the latest technological toys. Internal turf wars have periodically erupted over particular bits of intellectual territory, or jurisdiction over certain areas of practice. Outside of our field we have fought for validity, authority, and have been both successful and unsuccessful at competing for external funding. This session offers an opportunity to reveal previously unknown historical instances of innovation and/or competition; or to revisit or reexamine those we think we already understand.

Just to get your juices flowing, we invite you think about these broad topics:
•	When was there a major innovation that disrupted or modified the way we worked? How did things change as a result?
•	What major innovations have occurred as we have tried to train professionals? How has the definition of “professional” changed over time?
•	What are competing interests of stakeholders within or outside the field, and how do their interests impact us?
•	At times our profession has experienced (is still experiencing) competing visions or models. What are some of these visions and/or models and what outcomes have resulted from the differences?
•	Who are the major historical innovators of our profession?
•	What major innovations and/or contests outside our field have impacted LIS, and how?
•	How have historical innovations or competitions impacted our work as educators, practitioners, researchers?

We invite you to propose different topics related to the conference theme, if you have something in mind that isn’t listed here. This call is open to anyone working in the information sciences field, regardless of your occupational label.

Submit 300-500 word abstracts in PDF or WORD format by July 10, 2010, to Cindy Welch, University of Tennessee, [log in to unmask] If proposing a panel, please also include a brief statement about each presenter and their connection to the content. Questions? Use the email above or call 865.974.7918.

Cindy C. Welch, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Coordinator of Youth Services
School of Information Sciences