Going on the tangent of old machines… 98% of our express catalog machines are gx240’s. At this point I can’t upgrade. (Not for lack of trying!) We don’t have any 260’s in public service but we do have a few 270’s and many many 280’s.  Can you give me some more information on this “bad state” problem? :)

Thanks,

Gretchen Garcia

MCLD IT Services

From: Library NT [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Wofsey
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: More deep freeze questions ;)

I use Deep Freeze widely, on both public and staff machines (we have roaming profiles and re-directed user folders, so nothing is on the local computer). I use the Enterprise version so I can manage my 135 machines from a single console, and love the ease of re-starting, waking-on-lan, etc. from the console. I like that so much that even on a few machines that I need to leave unfrozen because they have programs that need to write to the local drive, I install DeepFreeze and unfreeze the machine just so I can shut them down or start them up from the console.

The one problem I have had with the Enterprise edition is that it seems to cause problems with our oldest computers (Dell Optiplex GX260's), which we are still using as OPAC's. I'm not sure what aspect of Deep Freeze causes the problem, perhaps the network polling, but those older computers frequently get into a bad state and have to be forceably restarted several times to get them out of it. But frankly, we are really pushing our luck by still trying to run these old workhorses, so I don't blame Deep Freeze for the problem. The other factor that seems to contribute to the unstability of these systems is that we run the My Pictures Screensaver on them, with images stored on a server. We do this to advertise events and new services, so that is another thing that perhaps overloads the network traffic to those almost ancient computers.

I also run JAWS and Kurzweil 1000 on one computer with Deep Freeze and have never had a problem with it.

Michael Wofsey
Assistant Director for Technology
Public Library of Brookline
361 Washington St.
Brookline, MA 02445
617-730-2348 (desk), 617-799-8529 (mobile)
http://brooklinelibrary.org