The computers sometimes get stuck in DF maintenance mode. You cannot reset
them or restart them or do anything from the console. Usually a web page is
displayed in IE7, but you cannot type anything and clicking the mouse
produces no response. Often one of our screen saver slides will be stuck but
there may be a part of IE showing on the bottom of the screen. The only
thing you can do is to hold in the power key for 10 seconds to force the
power off, then power it on, wait for it to restart at which time it will
immediately shut down again because it thinks it is coming out of its
maintenance period. After all this, which can easily take 7 minutes with one
of these old machines, you then have to press the power button once more to
start the machine a final time. Usually then it will be okay for a while,
but can get frozen again with a non-responsive keyboard or mouse at any time
during the day. We have found that it happens more often on certain
computers, not every single one of this model. By the way, I was able to up
the RAM from 512 MB to 1 GB in all of these computers but that did not help
this problem at all. Finally, I had to uninstall Deep Freeze Ent. from all
of these computers and they work fine now. I don't know if you would
experience this if you were not running the My Pictures Slideshow
screensaver on these or similar computers, and it may not be a problem if
you are running something less than IE7. I believe I did run DFE on a couple
of 270s for a while with no problems. I think I could have solved my problem
by removing the screensaver and leaving DFE, but since these were OPACs with
very limited Internet Access, I decided that risks to the hard drive and
system were less important than the things we were trying to advertise and
promote on the screensavers.

In general, I think DFE is a superb product and I just renewed my 135
license. But chances are I will be able to upgrade all of these old
computers in the next year. Also, I should say that I did not bother to call
Faronics to seek support on this issue so I don't know if they would have
been able to help. My attitude was: these are old machines and I'm pushing
my luck anyway with them, not worth spending hours or days tracking down the
source of the problem.

Michael WofseyAssistant Director for Technology
Public Library of Brookline
361 Washington St.
Brookline, MA 02445
617-730-2348 (desk), 617-799-8529 (mobile)
http://brooklinelibrary.org