On our public PCs we're using Envisionware to schedule and manage user sessions and Deep Freeze to protect the systems against any changes: preference changes, browsing history/caches, file changes, downloaded files (including malware) are all wiped out when Envisionware restarts the system at the end of the user's session. Normal Windows user profile limitations are also in place to help limit potential dangers. So we're running those public systems without anti-virus and have had no related issues.  -- JG

On 4/5/2010 1:09 PM, Hartung, Steven wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Can I expand Gretchen’s question and ask if anyone is using Deep Freeze as the only solution in protecting their machines, or if you find the need to continue with a virus protection software as well.  Thanks.

Steven Hartung
Pamunkey Regional Library

804.537.6214 office
804.537.6389 fax

From: Library NT [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sylvia MacKenzie
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 12:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LIBNT-L] Deep Freeze

We have used Deepfreeze at our library for over 10 years and have had no problems with it. Currently we are using deepfreeze version 6 which allows you to do administration from one computer to all your public computers.

We use it on over 100 computers. Deepfreeze works on Vista and windows 7 as well as XP

I wouldn't recommend steady state as it is only for XP and vista.

Microsoft won't be continuing its use on Windows 7.  We tried on different computers and had a lot of problems with it. It may be free but not worth the aggravation for the problems it caused. What steady state is - is a really locked down guest account so you will run into limitations with it and problems using some of the operating system whereas deepfreeze doesn't do that. Faronics offers discounts for libraries for volume licensing. We use PC Reservation and their print management system and it doesn't affect it at all. Deepfreeze also works on 64 bit systems You can download an evaluation from www.faronics.com if you want to test it.

Sylvia MacKenzie

Colchseter East Hants Public Library

Truro NS Canada