The San Jose School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) has concluded a new, robust agreement with the California Library Association (CLA), which will benefit students and LIS professionals around the state and serve as a model for other partnerships between professional associations and professional schools.

“Our School community is poised to enrich California’s professional community, and this new partnership will benefit our students while strengthening CLA,” said SLIS Director Ken Haycock.

The new partnership includes a range of opportunities for SLIS students to get involved in CLA, including serving on CLA committees and task forces, as well as student positions on the CLA Board of Directors.  In addition, CLA will work with SLIS to create a formal internship program, where SLIS students can gain experience with professional association management.

CLA and SLIS also commit to establishing a new model for a mentoring program, based on knowledge sharing between students and CLA members.  “Rather than the more typical one-way model found in many mentoring programs, the program will include opportunities for SLIS students to share knowledge with CLA members regarding emerging technologies and newer trends,” said Haycock.  “Our students are enrolled in leading edge courses that range from web usability, to use of virtual world technology, to social networking platforms, to database management.  They are learning about new developments in the field, and they are excited to share that knowledge with the professional community.”  At the same time, the partnership includes elements typically found in mentoring programs, such as career exploration and opportunities for students to expand their professional networks.

The partnership also offers financial benefits to SLIS students.  SLIS will reinstate CLA memberships for all incoming students as part of an ALA/local chapter membership program.  In addition, CLA commits to waiving or reducing registration fees for SLIS students who volunteer at the annual conference.

SLIS faculty and students will make presentations at CLA educational programs regarding current research and developments in the profession.  In turn, CLA will support the School’s career development program by helping with resume reviews, mock job interviews, career panels, and networking opportunities.  SLIS and CLA will also collaborate to offer a one-unit course for SLIS students on professional leadership, networking and trendspotting, and other areas of mutual interest, which will include the option of face-to-face sessions during the CLA annual conference. SLIS will also sponsor an annual lectureship and reception at the conference.

“We are extremely pleased to formalize this expansive partnership,” said Haycock.  “Involvement in professional associations is an excellent way for our students to gain new knowledge, develop leadership skills, and set the tone for lifelong learning.  The CLA collaboration will benefit our students who live in California and serve as a model for other programs and professional associations.”

Marcia Laughrey

Receptionist

San Jose State University

One Washington Square