Call for Papers: Digital Libraries for International Development
(JCDL/ICADL 2010)

http://miksa.ils.unc.edu/dldev/

Digital Libraries for International Development aims to bring together
researchers who have thought deeply about the use of Information and
Communication Technologies for Development (ICTD) with those who have
thought deeply about the design and evaluation of digital libraries in
an effort to spark new work at this important intersection. A key goal
for our planned workshop is to explore innovative designs and
applications of digital libraries to improve education, health, and
financial conditions of people in developing regions.

We invite two types of submissions: position papers, and research
papers. Position papers are essentially extended business cards - they
ensure that other participants have your name, contact information, and
a description of what you are interested in. You can use bulleted lists,
expository text, images, or whatever you like to get the idea across.
But position papers are strictly limited to one page - they are meant to
be skimmed, not to be read. They are not mini research papers. Position
papers are optional - you can attend the workshop even if you don't
submit one. But submitting one is a good way to get the right
conversations started, so we encourage it. We will send you feedback
within a week of your position paper submission to let you know if we
think your interests are a good fit for the workshop (if you misread the
title and thought we were doing software development rather than
international development, this might help you avoid an unnecessary trip
to Brisbane!), but of course you are welcome to attend regardless of our
reaction to your position paper.

Research papers are one of the four hubs around which the workshop will
be built (the other three are invited talks, plenary panel discussions,
and moderated discussions in small groups). Among these four, research
papers serve to add depth to the discussion. But this will not be a day
full of paper presentations - the papers serve to stimulate and focus
our discussion, so they should address some topic at the intersection of
digital libraries and international development. They will be peer
reviewed by the program committee, but we do not have a particular type
of paper in mind - we would be glad to consider papers that identify
specific issues and discuss them in detail, papers that report on
experiences in the field, papers that report study results, or whatever
other kinds of papers you think would profitably engage our discussion.
There is no need to write a position paper if you submit a research
paper - if your research paper is on topic, we will gladly distribute it
to participants in the workshop even if it is not selected for oral
presentation. We'll give you quick feedback on whether we think you're
on topic, and in the case of research papers we have set the deadlines
so that we can give you that feedback before the JCDL early registration
deadline (after which the main conference's registration fee goes up,
but the workshop registration fee does not).

Research papers must be in the standard ACM conference paper format
(http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates) and are
limited to 10 pages. Position papers can be in any format, but are
limited to one page and should contain your contact information (think
of position papers as an extended business card). All submissions must
be in PDF. They can be submitted electronically through the workshop's
submission site (http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dlid10).
[don't confuse this with the main JCDL submission site, which has a
different conf ID]

At least one author of research papers selected for oral presentation
must attend the workshop to present their work. Authors of position
papers may participate remotely if they wish (indeed, submitting a
position paper is a type of remote participation even if you do no more
than that - we do plan to incorporate some provisions for remote
participation in the event itself if there is interest in that, so
please let us know of your preference for that when submitting research
papers by indicating "remote participant" near the top of your position
paper. A conference proceedings containing the position papers and the
research papers is planned.

Important Dates:

Full Research Paper Submission Deadline
April 20, 2010 (11:59 PM Samoa Time)

Research Paper Initial Notification (Scope Fit)
April 25, 2010

JCDL Early Registration Deadline
April 30, 2010

Research Paper Final Notification
May 10, 2010

Camera-ready Paper Deadline
May 15, 2010

Position Paper Submission Deadline
Rolling. Submission encouraged as soon as possible; notification within
a week. Final deadline is June 6 - to allow printing time.

Workshop June 25, 2010

Organisers:
     Javed Mostafa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
     Douglas W. Oard, University of Maryland, USA
     Tapan Parikh, University of California, Berkeley, USA
     Nitendra Rajput, IBM Research, India

Program Committee:
     Michel Bezy, IBM, USA
     Sally Jo Cunningham, University of Waikato, New Zealand
     Ed Cutrell, Microsoft Research, India
     Dan Dorner, University of Victoria, Wellington, New Zealand
     David Eichmann, University of Iowa, USA
     Gary Geisler, University of Texas at Austin, USA
     Barbara Hayes, Indiana University, USA
     Faheem Hussain, Asian University for Women, Bangladesh
     Min-Yen Kan, National University of Singapore, Singapore
     Lokman I. Meho, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
     David Nichols, University of Waikato, New Zealand
     Eva Mendez Rodriguez, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
     Shalini Urs, University of Mysore, India