Facebook and other social media also have their own email capabilities as well as collaboration applications.

I think that listservs/email lists can also have similar characteristics you describe to social media. This will vary according to the person reading it and the experience they have.
new professionals or graduate students with fresh eyes can read any listserv and see it one way "wow!"   Most graduate courses today usually assign some listservs to read or other online forums to students to see what's "out there".  Sometimes, this can be good or bad,
and our future professionals do not always get the best perspective of their future colleagues.

mid career professionals and senior/director career professionals will also read them another way based on their knowledge and expertise.   Ten years ago I remember reading AUTOCAT a certain way , these days I see more people asking others how to do basic work and less posts from those who are experienced.  I see groups of people posting and leading threads a certain way and nothing else. I also know many colleagues who never have the time nor the interest to even read what comes into their inboxes.  What role do the lurkers play in email lists/listservs ?

That is also an interesting element.

People also like to receive their information all in one place today too.  How we read online has changed.  In the mid 1990s, the listserv or email lists were the in thing because it was all new territory back then.  I was working at Columbia University when listservs really became popular, how exciting was that to ask a couple hundred catalogers how they did something.
Over recent years however, newer tools and technologies have also developed, which new professionals need to stay on top of also, especially if they are going on the job market soon.
Librarians can never be just good enough, because their work changes every day.
Last year, I did a presentation using Google Docs and a librarian asked me why I didn't use Powerpoint.  several months later, that same librarian gave a presentation on Google Docs.

Cheers,
Karen W.

Karen Weaver, MLS, Adjunct Faculty, Cataloging & Classification, The iSchool at Drexel University, Philadelphia PA email: [log in to unmask] / Electronic Resources Statistician, Duquesne University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask]