Dare I raise the spectre of Patrick Wilson (yet again) into the conversation?

People turn to cognitive authorities for their information.  For too long, librarians
have assumed that we're perceived as authorities.  For a time  we were, and for a
time after that we could still coast.

However...  The library may have Julia Child cookbooks; the library staff may
know which shelves the Julia Child cookbooks can be found, as well as provide
references that explain why Julia Child is an important culinary figure; and the
individual gets to borrow and/or peruse those cookbooks/references for free.  But
the librarian does not necessarily know how (or at least try) to cook like Julia Child,
or even want to cook like Julia Child, and that is what social networking offers.

I think the answer has less to do with setting up social networks within the library
than becoming ian ntegral part of those which already exist.

SueE