Scholarly communication and the changes necessary to keep up with its
transformation will be the focus of the fifth annual OCLC/Frederick G.
Kilgour Lecture in Information and Library Science on Tuesday, April 13,
2010.

Lee Dirks, director of Education & Scholarly Communications in Microsoft's
External Research division, will present "The Next Generation Scholarly
Communication Ecosystem: Implications for Librarians" in the Auditorium of
the Frank Porter Graham Student Union on the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill campus at 3 p.m. A reception will follow.

Abstract:
We are finally starting to see the early signs of transformation in
scholarly publishing. The innovations we've been expecting for years are
slowly being adopted, but we can definitely expect the pace of change will
pick up greater speed in the coming 3 to 5 years. Is our profession moving
fast enough to stay ahead of the curve… or are we going to be struggling
to keep up? With the advent of the data deluge, all XML workflows, the
semantic Web, cloud services and increasingly intelligent mobile devices
– what are the implications for libraries, archivists, publishers,
scholarly societies as well as individual researchers and scholars? The
opportunities are many – but capitalizing on this ever-evolving landscape
will require significant changes to our field, changes that we are not
currently well-positioned to enact. This talk will map the current
scholarly communication landscape – highlighting recent exciting
developments, and will focus on the repercussions and some specific
recommendations for the broader field of information management.

The lecture is hosted by the School of Information and Library Science at
UNC at Chapel Hill. The event is free and open to the public, however
seating is limited. Please send your RSVP via e-mail to
[log in to unmask] or call 919.962.8366.

The OCLC/Frederick G. Kilgour Lecture in Information and Library Science is
funded through a special endowment from the OCLC Online Computer Library
Center to honor Dr. Frederick G. Kilgour. The fund supports an annual
lecture bringing together scholars and leaders from around the world to
share innovative ideas and cutting-edge research.

About Lee Dirks:
Lee Dirks is the director of Education & Scholarly Communications in
Microsoft's External Research division, where he manages a variety of
research programs related to open access to research data, interoperability
of archives and repositories, preservation of digital information as well
as the application of new technologies to facilitate teaching and learning
in higher education.

A 20+ year veteran across multiple information management fields, Lee holds
an M.L.S. degree from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill as well
as a post-masters degree in Preservation Administration from Columbia
University. In addition to past positions at Columbia and with OCLC
(Preservation Resources), Lee has held a variety of roles at Microsoft
since joining the company in 1996 - namely as the corporate archivist, then
corporate librarian, and as a senior manager in the corporate market
research organization. During his career, his team's work on the
http://library intranet site at Microsoft was recognized as a "Center of
Excellence Award for Technology" in 2003 by the Special Library
Association's (SLA) Business & Finance Division. Additionally, Lee was
presented the 2006 Microsoft Marketing Excellence Award by Microsoft CEO
Steve Ballmer – for a marketing and engineering partnership around a
breakthrough market opportunity analysis process which is now a standard
operating procedure across Microsoft.

In addition to participation on several (US) National Science Foundation
task forces, Lee also teaches as adjunct faculty at the iSchool at the
University of Washington, and serves on the advisory boards for the
University of Washington Libraries, the UW iSchool's Master of Science in
Information Science (MSIM) program and the Metadata Research Center (MRC)
at the School of Information and Library Science at UNC at Chapel Hill.

For driving and parking information, please visit the SILS Web site at:
http://sils.unc.edu/news/releases/2010/02_oclc.htm

Wanda Monroe
Director of Communications
School of Information and Library Science
100 Manning Hall
Campus Box 3360
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3360
Phone: 919.843.8337