From: Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of B.G. Sloan
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: How Design Thinking Could Improve LIS Education

I recently read an interesting blog posting by Steven Bell, Associate University Librarian for Research & Instructional Services at Temple University's Paley Library. He is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Drexel University College of Information Science & Technology.

http://dbl.lishost.org/blog/2010/03/31/how-design-thinking-could-improve-lis-education/

The author recently attended the 15th anniversary celebration for the Internet Public Library, as well as a meeting of the re-accreditation advisory board for Drexel University’s LIS school (the author is a member of that advisory board). His blog posting is an outgrowth of discussions he had while attending these meetings.

An excerpt:

"LIS students...need to gain proficiency with important skills, such as the organization of material, reference work, subject specialization and digital development. No one argues that. But where the need seems more acute, and where there is less certainty about how to teach, is with the less tangible skills sets such as listening and observing, problem analysis or critical thinking. That’s where much of the conversation focused; what could practitioners share to help educators design a better curriculum for LIS students. That’s when it occurred to me. We should be talking about integrating design thinking into the LIS curriculum...I believe that the first LIS program that declares itself the 'design thinking iSchool' is going to set the standard for the future of library education. Is there a forward thinking LIS program that is ready to give this a try?"

Bernie Sloan