From: B.G. Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, April 24, 2010 12:24:25 AM
Subject: Where do libraries fit in the "information-seeking food chain"?

I think it would be really instructive if LIS students could take a course that showed where libraries and librarians fit into the overall "information-seeking food chain". Something that would give future librarians a realistic idea of how libraries are used (and not used) by people seeking information that they need. Something where students read research reports about how people really go about looking for the info they need, and then discuss how libraries might better position themselves in the "big picture".

It might help future librarians design better library systems if they could view the problem through a non-library-centric lens, and see the role of libraries within a broader context.

I'm thinking there are probably courses like this out there. If you teach a course like this I'd be interested in taking a look at your syllabus.

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan