Hi Kate and all:     you also asked about other academic university campuses
& library developments / computing technologies over the years...

Back in January 2010, a similar thread was posted on LITA listserv you and
others may find interest in concerning Columbia University computing and
libraries   I had posted this message back in January and share the link to
the post here for those interested.

http://lists.ala.org/wws/arc/lita-l/2010-01/msg00100.html

<http://lists.ala.org/wws/arc/lita-l/2010-01/msg00100.html>cheers, Karen
Weaver

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Kate Williams <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> From PLATO (1960), Project Gutenberg (1971), up through Wolfram Alpha
> (2009), there have been 11+ public computing projects invented in
> Champaign-Urbana, many with leadership from libraries and library schools.
>  Thursday and Friday we will be hearing from founders and others.  We're
> aiming to help the next 50 years be at least as innovative.  Public
> computing is as basic as public education, mass literacy ... and public
> libraries... have been for a democratic and sustainable society.
>
> http://go.illinois.edu/50years -- will be webcast
>
> Interested to hear about similar history on other campuses.  We need to
> draw these lines for all to see.
>
> all best,
>
> kate
>
> ---
> http://people.lis.illinois.edu/~katewill

Karen Weaver, MLS , Adjunct Faculty, Cataloging & Classification, The
iSchool at Drexel University, Philadelphia PA email:
[log in to unmask] / Electronic Resources Statistician,
Duquesne University, Gumberg Library, Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask]

*"All of the men on my staff can type."--Bella Abzug, (1920-1998), *
*First Jewish Congresswoman, Hunter College alumna 1942*