Whatever the other merits might be:

1. Money? It's a donation. Currently 5 terabytes of disc space. Right
now, I can go to BestBuy and buy 6 terabytes of internal hard disc
storage for $540 (three two-terabyte drives). (OK, so they'll use
server-class storage. Multiply that number by three or four, maybe.)

2. Space? Three two-terabyte drives. Call it 72 cubic inches--4"wide
by 3" tall (3 one-inch" drives) by 6" deep. That's the same amount of
space as one copy of my book Technical Standards: An Introduction for
Librarians. I dare say the Twitter archives will be a lot more useful
to future scholars of social history.

-walt crawford-