I never suggested replacing a discussion list with social networks, and
furthermore, I never suggested that email lists are archaic, or outmoded. I
don't think they are at all, but I do think that one, the perception exists
that they are, and two, while email lists can be used for group discussion,
and perform adequately, other tools exist that are better suited to support
group discussion in today's web.

The point that I am making is that given the need for electronic
distribution of information to a community, different tools are going to be
better fits, depending on the type of communications going on. If this is
done well, the community gets to forget about the method of communication
entirely, and focus on their content. It isn't a difference between wrong
and right, but a difference between good and better.

Do you need to distribute bulletins and announcements to a large list of
people? Email lists are where it's at, especially in conjunction with
another network to point people to the list.

Do you have a finite, manageble number of people that are going to be
producing content, or serving as a gateway for a larger number of
contributers? You want a blog. You can have a blog that isn't focused on the
individual, for example, Huffington Post, or any of the New York Times'
blogs. Keep in mind that the larger community also is able to interact and
discuss the content.

Do you have a community that doesn't need any kind of centralized content
management? Go for a forum. This is the most flexible option, but also has
the most maintenance requirements.

Do you have an existing community, that's already using a tool that works?
Then don't fix what's broken, unless there's some kind of external
motivation to change. I've been a programmer for far too long to have any
sort of interest in creating a solution to something that isn't a problem.