Hello everyone,

                There was a decent response from people wanting to go on this trip.  I spoke with Katie today and she says if you want to go to attend this week’s meeting to sign up.  It is too late to get it sponsored by the club so we will have to pay for gas, but other than that everything is free as nature intended.  Gas shouldn’t be much at all.

                This will be a car camping trip, you can bring all the fresh water you want.  I have a raggedy old tent that sleeps 6 but we will need another one.  Bring clothes you don’t mind ruining in the cave.  A headlamp is not a must but you will benefit from it.  Also, bring a powerful flashlight.  The walls of this cave reflect almost zero light so it stays very dark.  There are plenty of places to climb where we are going.  The difficulty ranges from 2-5.10 on the YDS, or in layman’s terms:  insanely easy to high difficulty.  If anyone is an experienced climber we should hit this up.  There are also more trails on top of Pigeon Mountain than I can think of, but we’ll figure that out when we get there.   Also, since it has been raining all year I’m sure the falls are beautiful.

Here is a link to a documented trip:  http://www.southeastclimbing.com/trip_reports/tr_ga_11-6-99_rocktown.htm  It is older but I don’t think the rocks have changed much since then.

Here is other general information regarding the area:  http://www.parkmaps.com/USA/Georgia/State/Crockford_Pigeon_Mt-ga/detailspage.htm

Itinerary:

Friday:  Leave Knoxville whenever you can.   I will leave earlier to get a good camping spot, they will probably all be open but I’m territorial like that.

Saturday:  Rock Climbing and Hiking, Waterfall sightseeing

Sunday:  Caving and a trip to the Shinbone Rd. Rifle Range (optional), Depart to Chattanooga at approximately 4 pm.  Chattanooga:  Dinner at Asia Buffett, 1.50 long necks and all you can eat sushi and steak for 9$.  Arrive in Knoxville at approximately 7 pm.

Those of you that contacted me, please go to meeting this Wednesday to sign up if you are interested.  I will be in attendance to answer any questions and to recruit more souls.  The mountain opens up for hunting on the 20th and will be closed throughout most of the year so this is our window.  Compared to the Cumberland Gap trip, this will be at least 5X as awesome.

See you then,

Isaac Bosley 615.519.0853