From: "Andrew Mutch" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:21:22 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: thin clients

Lisa,

It's been a couple of years since I looked at this for replacing some old Internet PCs with thin clients. But after some testing with thin clients, I decided against going that route at least for Internet computers. The main problems were  inconsistent support for USB devices and poor support for streaming audio and video. Even a couple of years ago, I saw those as deal-breakers for our patrons. I would think that would be even more so today with the proliferation of patrons using USB devices and the large amount of online content viewed through sites like Youtube, etc. I also was facing the prospect of getting this to work with our third-party print and time management system (SAM from Comprise).

I did end up using thin clients to replace my OPAC computers and it has worked well for that application. But even with Cisco switches, Gigabit network cards on the servers and CAT 5e cabling, there's still some lag browsing on the OPACs compared to the same experience on a PC. I suspect that difference would be magnified on a PC.

I haven't priced out a thin client solution recently but off the top of my head, your costs would include:

- Server hardware and Windows 2003/2008 server licenses
- Client Access Licenses - 1 per each device using the server
- Terminal Services Client Access Licenses - 1 per each device using the server for Terminal Services
- Thin client devices (which don't provide the same cost break as they used to compared to low-end PCs suitable for use as Internet computers)

As a public library, you should be able to get low-cost pricing on licenses from Microsoft through Tech Soup.

http://www.techsoup.org/stock/microsoft/volume_licensing.asp

If maintaining the PCs is the big problem, what areas in particular are you having problems with that you see the thin client solution solving? We use Group Policy to lock down our PCs but a solution like DeepFreeze or Windows Steady State can provide an even higher level of protection against PC problems.

http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeLibraries.aspx#vertical

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician