I'm wondering how the current economic conditions are affecting Library and Information Science programs?

One earlier recession (July 1990-March 1991) seems to have been at least a contributing factor in the closing of maybe a half-dozen LIS schools, as well as the reorganization of several others. And today's recession is more severe.

Here's one current example. My alma mater, the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) may be impacted organizationally by the University's response to today's economic conditions. GSLIS has set up a web page to keep GSLIS students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends informed about the University's response to current financial challenges and how related decisions impact GSLIS:

http://www.lis.illinois.edu/about-gslis/stewarding-excellence

Also, today's Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette has an article about the overall budget review process for the University as a whole:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/education/2010-03-10/uis-budget-teams-eye-graduate-college-small-units-cuts.html

Thanks,

Bernie Sloan