If you are having problems viewing this message, click here.

For the week of March 19th, 2010

@COE is published every Friday. Be sure to check out the news for this
issue as well as the Career Services dedicated student version

Please send your submissions for @COE to Kim Cowart in the Engineering
Communications Office at [log in to unmask]

Faculty Updates

EECS Professor Visits Taiwan

Dr. Leon Tolbert, Min Kao Professor in Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science, visited several universities and companies and gave
two seminars in Taiwan during March 7-13.  He gave the seminar
"Modeling and Application of Silicon Carbide Power Electronics for
Hybrid Electric Vehicles" at National Taiwan University in Taipei and
National Tsing Hua University in Hsinchu.  He also visited National
Chiao Tung University and met with students and professors from
National Taiwan Normal University and National Taipei University of
Technology.  Dr. Tolbert visited Phoenixtec, a subsidiary of Eaton
that makes uninterruptible power supplies and photovoltaic inverters.
The IEEE Industry Applications Society Regional Speakers Program,
National Taiwan University and National Tsing Hua University sponsored
his trip. UT alumnus and EECS benefactor, Dr. Min Kao, is an alumnus
of National Taiwan University.

Keffer Awarded Grant from Fulbright Commission

Dr. David Keffer has been awarded a "Distinguished Lectureship" grant
from the Fulbright Commission to study for ten months in the Chemical
and Biomolecular Engineering Department at Yonsei University in Seoul,
South Korea, beginning Fall of 2010.

The title of the grant is "Searching for Global Perspectives on
Sustainability in Seoul". As Director of the STAIR (Sustainable
Technology through Advanced Disciplinary Research) program at UTK, Dr.
Keffer is interested in providing UTK students with a global
perspective on sustainable development. While in Seoul, Dr. Keffer
will offer a course in Case Studies for Sustainable Development.
Teaching this course in Seoul will provide a different perspective on
how sustainability is viewed both from the Korean perspective as well
as from the perspective of residents of an urban center, like the
Seoul National Capital Area (pop. 24.5 million).  Dr. Keffer will also
participate in collaborative research while in Seoul with Prof. Chang-
Ha Lee in the area of carbon sequestration.

Alexeff Publishes New Book

Professor Igor Alexeff's latest book (With Professor D. K. Kalluri)
will publish in April 2010. The title is Electromagnetics of Time
Varying Complex Media: Frequency and Polarization Transformer, second
edition.

Student Information

MABE Student Visits Germany

Bryan Elkins, an engineering Ph.D. student, recently visited the
Institut für Raumfahrtsyteme (IRS) at the Universität Stuttgart; and,
presented two talks at the NISI and Inverse Heat Conduction Workshop
held in Stuttgart, Germany during March 3-5, 2010. Researchers from
the IRS and the German Aerospace Center (DLR) were in attendance. Nine
total talks were presented in this workshop as well as several
laboratory tours. More than 10 vacuum recipients (see Figure 1 - top)
and 5 plasma wind tunnels are available for Ph.D. student research at
Universität Stuttgart. Material research involving high enthalpy flows
and numerous instrumented thrust test stands are available for arcjet
engines. Figure 2 (below) illustrates the SHEFEX I vehicle. A tour of
the German Aerospace Center (DLR) was provided showing the
construction of new SHEFEX II vehicle. Bryan Elkins is a Ph.D. student
in the Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering Department.
His Ph.D. advisors are Dr. Majid Keyhani and Dr. J.I. Frankel.

IEE Seminar Announcement

The Department of Industrial & Information Engineering will be hosting
a seminar

“ELECTRIC GRID INFRASTRUCTURE MODELING,
ANALYSIS AND IMPACTS ASSESSMENT”

Dr. Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Research Scientist, Computational Sciences
and Engineering Division (CSED), Oak Ridge National Laboratory 2:00 –
3:30 p.m., Friday, March 26, 2010 217 Perkins, University of Tennessee-
Knoxville Campus

Dr. Olufemi (Femi) Omitaomu is a research scientist in the
Computational Sciences and Engineering Division (CSED) at the Oak
Ridge National Laboratory. He joined ORNL in October 2006. He is also
an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Industrial and
Information Engineering at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. He
received his Ph.D. from the University of Tennessee in May 2006. His
research interests include data mining and knowledge discovery,
network modeling and analysis and risk analysis in space and time with
applications to high priority domains including energy and
transportation.

Dr. Omitaomu received the UT-Battelle Significant Event Award in
August 2008. In October 2009, he and his research team members
received the UT-Battelle Engineering R&D Team Award. Dr. Omitaomu has
published in top journals including IEEE Transactions and ASME
Journals. He is the co-editor of Knowledge Discovery from Sensor Data
(Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, January 2009). Seminar hosted by Dr.
Xueping Li and Dr. Joe Wilck, assistant professors in the Department
of Industrial & Information Engineering.

For more information, contact the IIE Department at 974-3333.

Attention COE Seniors: Senior Gift 2010

Make your Senior Gift Online!

Visit the Senior Gift 2010 web site in order to make your contribution
online to the College Fund for Engineering or to one of the seven
department funds.

Gifts of any size are welcome; however, seniors or graduate students
who donate at least $50 will receive commemorative honor cords to wear
at graduation as well as have a personalized brick placed on the
Senior Sidewalk in Circle Park. Call the Tyson Alumni House at
974-3011 for more information.

Your support is important, as it will benefit your fellow engineering
students. Recently, the College Fund for Engineering has served as a
crucial resource for college-wide programming such as Engage, expanded
advising services, and the Pre-Collegiate Scholars Program as well as
for purchasing specialized equipment and facility renovations.

Additionally, a Senior Gift will allow the college to seize future
opportunities and jump-start future initiatives. Please consider
joining your classmates in support of Senior Gift 2010.  Your Senior
Gift will not only serve the immediate needs of engineering students,
but it will set a wonderful example for other seniors, graduate
students, underclassmen and future engineering students.

Please visit the Senior Gift web site or the Office of Engineering
Development in 120 or 121 Perkins Hall in order to make a Senior Gift
via check or credit card or contact them via email at [log in to unmask]
for more information.

Opportunities

Environmental Leadership Awards

Do you know of a UT Knoxville faculty, staff or student who goes the
extra mile to promote environmental leadership on campus? Nominate
that person for an Environmental Leadership Award!  On Earth Day
(April 22, 2010), Environmental Leadership Awards will be given to one
faculty, one staff and one student from UT Knoxville who demonstrates
a strong and continuing commitment to campus environmental leadership
through: 1) education; 2) peer outreach; and/or 3) individual actions.
The selected person will receive a framed certificate and a “green”
goody bag. For more information and to submit a nomination visit here.

Nuclear Engineering Scholarships Available

The U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Energy (DOE-NE) has
issued a new Scholarship and Fellowship Funding Opportunity
Announcement (FOA).

DOE-NE has committed approximately $5 million to fund undergraduate
scholarships and graduate fellowships for U.S. nuclear science and
engineering students.

This FOA (DE-FOA0000304) will provide U.S. colleges and universities
the opportunity to administer these scholarships and fellowships.
Applications can be submitted through www.fedconnect.net and will be
accepted continuously for the next year.

Universities or colleges with current agreements do not need to re-
apply.

NEUP's 2010 scholarship and fellowship solicitations have not yet been
issued. Once they are, students will have several weeks to apply for
the awards.

Intercultural Workshop

On the afternoon of March 24th the Tennessee Teaching and Learning
Center will be offering an important interactive workshop entitled
Interculturalism: A Way of Being.  This workshop will provide insights
into interculturalism into your courses as well as how teachers can
take advantage of the cultural differences that exist in the
classroom, but may not always be apparent.

Please take a look at the link to the TENN TLC workshop website that
contains the information you will need.

Outreach Office Update

Keep Up with Study Abroad Participants

The three spring Engineering Study Abroad Fellowship winners are now
in school in England, Hong Kong and Australia. Follow Ray, Chris, and
Charlton on their student blogs.

Office of Professional Practice Update

PLEASE NOTE: Students receiving engineering co-op or internship offers
must go through the Office of Professional Practice if they want
recognition for them on their UT transcript. Students receiving offers
directly from employers may forward the information to the office and
inquire about how to fulfill program requirements and receive credit
for their work.

Office of Professional Practice Student Feature

Featured student: Ashley Thomas

Ashley Thomas is an industrial engineering major that is currently on
her second co-op rotation with BMW Manufacturing in Spartanburg, S.C.
Her third rotation is scheduled for this summer, back-to-back with her
current term.

“For my second and third rotations at BMW Manufacturing, I am a member
of the Functional Analysis group within the Quality Management and
Engineering Department. My primary assignment is water tightness
validation during the current new model launch. By collecting
information on leaks found during pre-series testing, I hope to build
a database to be used as a troubleshooting guide during standard
production testing.

“The benefit of this project is to capture and re-use the knowledge of
skilled associates, reduce analysis and processing time for tested
vehicles, and reduce training time of new associates. In addition to
this ‘hands-on’ experience, I have administrative duties. I handle all
of the vehicles - including models already in production and those
going through pre-series testing - coming into the group for analysis.
This includes coordinating with individuals both within our own group
and others, as well as holding everyone responsible to our targets.

“I feel that I am gaining skills that will make me more valuable as a
potential employee post-graduation. There are lessons learned here
that are not taught in the classroom, such as how to interact with
others and conduct oneself in a work environment. My own application
of what I have learned in the classroom to an actual engineering
problem has better prepared me to return to classes because I now have
a more concrete understanding of what is being taught.

“Likely the most valuable item I have taken away is a better
understanding of what kind of work I would like to be doing in my
career. For example, my first rotation was in a position I thought I
was going to love, but after spending three months in the position I
realized it was not for me. However, I was exposed to automobile
manufacturing and the many different roles an engineer can play in
this industry. Now, I have a better understanding of my skills and
passions which will ultimately lead to my placement in a position that
is pleasing to myself and beneficial to my future company.”

For information on engineering co-op and internship assignments,
contact the Office of Professional Practice at [log in to unmask] or
865-974-5323.

Student Opportunities

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

Summer 2010 & Fall 2010/Academic Year 2010-2011 Application Open –
Deadline: April 6, 2010

The Gilman International Scholarship Program is pleased to announce
the opening of the Fall 2010 online application with over 1,700
scholarships to be awarded.  A limited number of summer awards will be
available to students majoring in the STEM fields (Science,
Technology, Engineering or Math) that meet the program's standard
eligibility criteria listed below.

Enrolled as an undergraduate student at a two or four-year U.S.
Institution
United States citizen
Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during
the term of study abroad
Participating in a study abroad program that is no less than 4 weeks
and no more than an academic year
Receiving academic credit
Study in any country not currently under a U.S. State Department
Travel Warning or Cuba
Summer 2010 & Fall 2010/Academic Year 2010-2011 applications are now
being accepted online and are due April 6, 2010. For more information
about the Gilman Scholarship, application deadlines & timeline, and
application process, please visit the Gilman website, contact the
Gilman Program at 713-621-6300 ext. 25 or email [log in to unmask]

Career Services Announcements

For more information, visit the Career Services website.

Career Services Announcements

The following companies have scheduled on-campus interviews during the
Spring season for full-time and/or internship engineering positions
and are now accepting resumes through your HIRE-A-VOL account. If
interested, please check to see if you are qualified and note the
deadline to submit your resume.

Postings subject to change. Additional opportunities will be added as
companies post listings and schedule interviews for Spring 2010
recruiting. Don’t forget to check for additional job postings that are
not coming to UT to conduct interviews and be sure that you are
utilizing the resources under the “JOBS” tab in HIRE-A-VOL – NACELink
and EmployOn for positions across the country and internationally.

Strand Associates, Inc. - Civil Engineers - Submit by 3/22

DCP Midstream - Engineer I - Chemical, Mechanical and Electrical -
Submit by 3/29

To schedule an appointment for resume review, interview and job fair
preparation or the job search process, call 974-5435 and ask to make
an appointment with Leslie Fox, Engineering Career Consultant. Career
Services is located in 100 Dunford Hall on Volunteer Boulevard.

Career Services Events

Job Search Strategies Workshop
Thursday, March 18th, 4 – 5 pm
Career Services, Dunford Hall

This workshop will teach you, step by step, how to conduct an
effective job search. This workshop emphasizes a comprehensive
approach to job searching, the importance of being focused, where to
find jobs, the hidden market, networking, and what the Career Services
Office can do for you.

Visit here to watch even more workshops online!

Networking 101
Tuesday, March 23rd, 4- 5 pm
Career Services, Dunford Hall

This workshop will help you learn what networking really means and how
to identify your own network of people that might be a great resource
in your job search. Topics covered include where to find contacts, how
to connect with them, and how they can help you in any internship or
job search.

Women and Salary Negotiations
Wednesday, March 24th, 4 - 5 pm
Career Services, Dunford Hall

Want to know more about negotiating for salary?  Plan to attend the
'Women and Salary Negotiations' workshop.

Workshop content includes: the gender wage gap including current
statistics, when and how to negotiate for salary, and the long-term
negative impact of not negotiating for salary. All students are
welcome to attend!

Top-Paid Majors for 2009-10 Bachelor’s Degree Graduates
Engineering majors dominated the list of top-paid majors for 2009-10,
as their average offers filled eight of the top 10 spots, according to
results of National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
Winter 2010 Salary Survey. Petroleum engineering majors far and away
garnered the top offers at $86,220.

Top-paid Majors for 2009-10 Bachelor’s Degree Graduates*

Major
Average Salary Offer
Petroleum Engineering
$86,220
Chemical Engineering
$65,142
Mining & Mineral Engineering (inc. geological)
$64,552
Computer Science
$61,205
Computer Engineering
$60,879
Electrical/Electronics & Communications Engineering
$59,074
Mechanical Engineering
$58,392
Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering
$57,734
Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering
$57,231
Information Sciences & Systems
$54,038
*Where 10 or more offers were reported.

Source:  Winter 2010 Salary Survey, National Association of Colleges
and Employers, February 2010

Please e-mail Leslie Fox at [log in to unmask] with any questions about
Career Services.

If you have submissions for @COE, the college's electronic newsletter,
please send them to Kim Cowart at [log in to unmask] by 12:00 noon on
Thursdays.

To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html